Improvements list for SmartRules and formulas

Alex G. shared this idea 2 years ago
Voting Open

I posted the following lists of improvements for SmartRules and formulas in response to a question. While most of these have been posted in this forum as individual ideas by me and others, it was suggested that I consider posting the consolidated list as a single "omnibus" Idea in its own right. Thanks to everyone who suggested any of these ideas:

SmartRules:

• Add an additional Topic field to identify which topic(s) will set the trigger (with "This Topic" being the default)
  • Include topic attributes such as topic level, colour, fill, etc as triggers
  • Include tag colour as a trigger
  • Include a "Does Not Exist" option for Task Progress, the same as the one available for Task Priority
  • Add an "ONLY ONE condition is met" option when there are multiple criteria, ie, the equivalent of an XOR
  • Add an "Apply this Rule to Specific Topic Level" option under Advanced Options.

Formulas:

• Make Start and Due Dates available as a date number in formula Task Attributes similar to the way in which Excel can handle dates
  • Also make topic properties formatted as dates or times available as date numbers
  • Make Topic Level available as a Task Attribute
  • Add an XOR equivalent (ie, ONLY ONE alternative) as an operator
  • Allow changing the name of a source topic property used in a formula to optionally apply to all other topic properties in the map so that the formulas don't have to be manually edited (the MAP add-in offers a feature which does something like this).

Other suggestions:

• Greater integration between SmartRules and formulas
  • Provide a greater range of topic attributes and task types that could be applied when importing spreadsheets via the Excel Data Mapper
  • Provide all the above features in the Mac version and ensure full equivalence in both SmartRules and Formulas between the Windows and Mac versions.

Replies (7)

photo

Thank you Alex for your hard work. I would like to add one more thing, if I may.

-I would welcome "if/then" calculations.

-Via CTRL+H exchange of characters especially in property fields. This is of great advantage, especially after a mapper import. E.g. exchange of incorrect information.

- Add instructions to smart rules. For example, if a date is in a "Follow up" property field, a topic reminder is automatically created.

- Task topics contain properties. These branch types should also be exportable as tasks to Outlook.

Please note: All my suggestions are translatet into english via google-translater. Sorry for mistakes!

photo

Thanks for your kind comment and your additional suggestions.

I should have added “proper” IF/THEN and IF/THEN/ELSE formulas to my list, though these are both available in a sense through both SmartRules and formulas.

I have written about how to use each of these on my Sociamind blog:

• https://sociamind.com/2019/05/07/mindmanager-integrations-3-the-logic-revolution/ Describes how to use SmartRules to construct IF/THEN/ELSE statements. As I note in the article, “the whole notion of conditional formatting in MM is based on the IF-THEN function. In a SmartRule the trigger is the equivalent of the condition in an IF-THEN function, and the effect is the equivalent of the THEN value… There is no ELSE value in a SmartRule, but much in the way that IF-THEN functions can be nested in the same equation in Excel, several triggers can be combined in each SmartRule while multiple SmartRules can be ‘stacked’ to form complex statements”.
  • https://sociamind.com/2021/03/28/logic-time-and-money-more-mindmanager-formula-surprises-part-2/ Describes how to use comparison and logical operators in formulas. “… an equation involving a comparison operator will return a ‘1’ if the result is true, and ‘0’ if it is false… You can use comparison operators in this way in SmartRules to test a topic property value against a number, but unlike SmartRules MM formulas also allow direct comparison of topic properties themselves.” Meanwhile, Logical operators can be used to combine multiple statements created by comparison operators to provide a single true/false test.

Thanks also for your other suggestions. I particularly like your third idea of adding instructions as effects to SmartRules, though I need to think a little more about how that would work. I’m also a bit unclear as to what exactly you mean in your other points about CTRL-H exchange in property fields and exporting branch types to Outlook - perhaps you could provide some examples.

photo

Hallo Alex,

danke für die schnelle Reaktion.

Ich fürchte, ich war mir über meine Anfrage nach wenn/dann/sonst Bedingungen nicht im Klaren:

Im Laufe der Jahre habe ich ein ziemlich komplexes Portfoliomodell entwickelt, mit dem ich Lieferantenverträge im laufenden Jahr verfolge. Ein Punkt bei der Verfolgung sind gestaffelte Boni. Wenn mein Umsatz einen bestimmten Betrag übersteigt, dann gilt ein höherer Bonusprozentsatz. Ein Vergleich muss also in der Formel (nicht in den Smart Rules) erfolgen. Aber das kann ich nicht und muss zurück zu Excel wechseln.

Zusammengefasst: Umsatz > 100.000 EUR; dann 5% Bonus; ansonsten 4,5%

Zu meinem dritten Punkt: Ich erstelle für jede Angebotsanfrage eine Aufgabe. Dies geschieht in Verbindung mit einem Kartenteil "Aktivität", in dem Verzweigungseigenschaften aufgebaut werden. Dies ist insgesamt effizienter, obwohl ich natürlich einen Aufgabenzweig erstellen und zur erneuten Einreichung nach Outook exportieren könnte. Nun, meine Aktivität enthält ein Enddatum, von dem ich denke, dass es als Auslöser in den Smart Rules (Ja, Wenn/Dann :-) ) verwendet wird, um eine Verzweigungserinnerung als Reaktion zu generieren, wenn die Bedingung erfüllt ist. Automatisch. Diese erscheint in meinem Outlook-Kalender und kann daher nicht vergessen werden. Hinweis: Ich arbeite standardmäßig mit Outlook, Excel, unserer ERP-Lösung und MM2022.

Zu meinem zweiten Punkt: Jedes Jahr im Dezember "schraube" ich ein sehr umfangreiches Datenmodell aus den Daten der bisherigen Geschäftsdaten mit den Lieferanten zusammen. Dieses Modell ist die Grundlage für den Excel Data Mapper. Nun passiert es mir immer wieder, dass ich einen Fehler im Datenmodell habe. Bei 218 Datensätzen, die importiert werden, ist das auf den ersten Blick nicht ersichtlich. Später, nach den ersten Sitzungen auf der jährlichen Lieferantenkarte (am Ende des Jahres >160MB groß!) Ich bemerke den Fehler. Beispiel: Ich habe den Wert "Mail" anstelle von "EDI" eingegeben. Ich möchte diesen Fehler mit STRG+H über alle 218 Datensätze (Zweige) austauschen. Aber das funktioniert nicht.

Ich hoffe, dass ich Ihnen meine Gedanken jetzt etwas verständlicher dargelegt habe, und ich bleibe

mit freundlichen GrüßenLars

ThomsenKaufleiter

e3250d651ff8a4d76c55b07c6bb107a9, Segeberger Kliniken

photo

Hi Lars,

I apologise that I had also to run your response through Google Translate. I studied German at school, but unfortunately I have forgotten most of my vocabulary!

I'll deal with the respond to the rest of your question in another comment, but I wanted quickly to deal with the bonus issue. I think this is easier to do if you use a combination of SmartRules and formulas, but it can be done using formulas alone.

The map in the image below shows how this is done. I have created a floating topic with the base and additional bonus rates as well as the threshold above which the extra bonus rate will be applied. There are four vendors with different turnover levels. The formulas test if the turnover equals or exceeds the threshold; if it does, the additional bonus percentage is added to the base bonus; if not, just the base bonus rate is applied. The resulting total bonus percentage is used to calculate the total bonus payable.

It's probably easier to understand if you just play with the formulas and the various ratios in the map (which I've also attached), but if you have any questions let me know.

Alex

dbd5703177535cfe12445ed95ef7955e

photo

Hi Alex,

there is no reason for aplolgies. It is funny: I use the translation function on thise site.

I have my formulations translated by google and insert the text body here. It's amazing that you get this in German. Anyway, computers solve all your problems that you never would have had without them. :-)

Many thanks for your solve suggestion. It ist now 8:44 am. On this afternoon, I will see and grow.

Have a nice time and take care.

Lars

photo

Hallo Alex,

ich habe mich mit der Formel beschäftigt und: Heureka!

[HighPerf%]=([Turnover]>=zweig[Threshhold])*zweig[AddBonus] und hier ">=" habe ich nicht gekannt. Der Lösungsansatz ist ausgesprochen hilfreich! Vielen Dank!

Wenn Du noch mehr Formeln weißt, findest Du in mir einen dankbaren Abnehmer!

Viele Grüße und eine erfolgreiche Woche!

Lars

photo

Thanks Lars.

For some reason the comparison and logic operators aren't documented in the MindManager help. I discuss them in the article I linked to before: https://sociamind.com/2021/03/28/logic-time-and-money-more-mindmanager-formula-surprises-part-2/

In that post I published the following table showing all the operators:

88bdb518c6a575e2ee2b1c56e3c7801e

There is also a post in this forum with a detailed map showing just about everything you can do with formulas in MindManager: https://community.mindmanager.com/topic/242-properties-formulas-and-calculations-in-mindmanager-knowldege-dashboard

photo

That´s great! Thank you! The knowledge dash is also a fine stuff!

photo

Two additional points:

In the rules - I would also like to add the ability to include the search for text to hyperlinks (currently only notes and topic texts).

I wish there was a way to include the opportunity to use Macro's in the smart rules - but I understand this is not possible.

---