Smart Rule for a specific value range.

Laurence C. shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Hi

I'm experimenting with setting up a risk register for my company and I'm having trouble with the Smart Rule function.

In my topics I have a 'Severity' property with a number value between 0-500. I would like to set three Smart Rules that change the fill colour of the topic depending on the value, for example:

between 1-100 (green)

between 101-300 (amber)

between 301-500 (red)

The program only allows me to specify 'greater than' or 'less than' a certain value, which clearly works for two colours but not three.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer
photo

Unless I'm missing something this is quite easy to do, as per the example below. Each SmartRule can have multiple triggers, so you can have Equal to or Greater Than 1 AND Less Than or Equal to 100 in the same SmartRule.

31c710abb1d9fd6c9584afff1f6a50f3

Replies (4)

photo

Unless I'm missing something this is quite easy to do, as per the example below. Each SmartRule can have multiple triggers, so you can have Equal to or Greater Than 1 AND Less Than or Equal to 100 in the same SmartRule.

31c710abb1d9fd6c9584afff1f6a50f3

photo

Hi Alex

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, the colour scheme works now. I was expecting to see a 'between' option similar to Excel that allows you to specify a value range. I clearly didn't understand that I needed to use two triggers.

photo

Thanks Laurence. Another feature which may interest you is that formulas also offer comparison and logical operators similar to and in some cases more versatile than those available in SmartRules so you could establish a risk rating on a topic-by-topic basis. For fairly straightforward applications like your example this is probably overkill, but this approach can be handy if you want to apply the same rating system but use different parameters for selected topics.

For example, half your topics might have a severity range like your example of 1-500, but the other half might have a different risk assessment process that results in a severity range of only 1-200. This would be complicated (though not totally impossible) to deal with using SmartRules only, but you could use formulas to calculate high/medium/low risk bands separately for each topic and then use the same set of SmartRules across the map to provide the risk rating topic colours.

Jan from MindManager has put together a dashboard map which shows all the additional but currently undocumented formula features such as comparison and logic operators, and in the following thread there are links to some articles I have written which show how to use these. https://community.mindmanager.com/topic/242-properties-formulas-and-calculations-in-mindmanager-knowldege-dashboard

photo

Hi Alex.

That's useful to know and thank you for sending the link; I appreciate the extra support.

I recently passed my PRINCE2 practitioner exam and I am currently trying to build a project management system for my employer. MindManager has been a good find and a big help in this regard but, as you have probably guessed, I'm still finding my way around the software. I do really want to master the program so I will certainly be studying Jan's map in detail.

Best regards

Laurence

---