How do I keep paragraphing (line breaks) as in topic text when exporting to word?

Kamesh C. shared this question 17 months ago
Answered

Greetings.

I have multiple lines in level 3 topic text, when I export this to word, The line/paragraph breaks are lost, and the resulting paragraph is a continuous line without any breaks. Is there a way I can keep these breaks when I export to word? I have attached a picture for better understanding.

Note: I tried exporting the data with personal and inbuild template both has same results.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Best Answer
photo

Update - apologies. I just realised you were talking about topic text, not topic notes. I'm afraid that is how topic text works - generally the topic is more of a heading and you are not expected to put lots of text there.

I suggest you put the detailed material in a topic note or create subtopics for it.

Replies (2)

photo

Edit - see my comment below

That's odd, because I've just tried exporting several different variations of bulleted, numbered and plain paragraphs, both with the MindManager template and my own default template in Word, and in every case the paragraph breaks appeared where they were meant to be.

The only thing I can suggest is checking the Word style you have mapped against Notes in the last page of the export dialogue in case you have something unusual there. Mine seems to work fine with either None (Keep current style) or Normal. However, even if this was unusual I don't see how that would affect exports using the MM template.

If that isn't the the issue I suggest you raise the problem with MindManager Support.

photo

Update - apologies. I just realised you were talking about topic text, not topic notes. I'm afraid that is how topic text works - generally the topic is more of a heading and you are not expected to put lots of text there.

I suggest you put the detailed material in a topic note or create subtopics for it.

photo

Thanks for your quick answer and suggestion :)

photo

Thanks Kamesh.

Actually Nick's response to another question reminded me there is a way to do this, assuming you set up the topic text correctly: https://community.mindmanager.com/topic/1508-how-to-insert-bullet-points

As Nick points out, you can use Alt+0149 to input a bullet point for every new line via the Windows Character Map, assuming the numeric keypad has numlock on.

When you export to Word the line breaks will be lost but the bullet points will remain. You can then use Word's Replace facility to find and replace the bullet character "•" with a paragraph break and bullet character, ie, "^p•" (don't use the quotation marks).

So for example if the exported text is: "Options • Option 1 • Option 2" in Word it should end up looking like the following after you have run the Replace facility:

"Options

• Option 1

• Option 2"

Actually you don't even need to use bullet points if you don't want to. You could choose another symbol that's already on the keyboard, like # or * - just choose something that you don't use in the text itself (the bullet point is a good choice for that reason).

If you want numbers instead simply highlight the text and click on the Numbering option under Paragraph on the Home ribbon in Word, and you should end up with something like this:

"Options:

1. Option 1
  2. Option 2"

And if you don't want anything at all just use the Replace facility with the paragraph return symbol ^p.

However, my comment that you should treat topics mainly as headings and put only limited amounts of text in them is still valid.

photo

Hello Alex G, thanks for remembering my question :)

Currently we are using the same word replace facility to keep the paragraphing in the exported word file (but with a different symbol).

photo

I've just posted a guide to the four different options for preserving paragraph/line breaks and other formatting in topic text when exporting from MindManager to Word: https://sociamind.com/2023/01/02/mindmanager-gaps-and-tricks-3-preserving-line-breaks-and-other-formatting-when-exporting-topic-text-to-word/

---