How to easily update the Marker Group icons in various maps at the same time

Rupert M. shared this idea 14 months ago
Voting Open

This is in follow-up of a closed topic https://community.mindmanager.com/topic/556-update-the-marker-group-icons-on-various-maps . I may have a better idea than what is suggested there, and since I did not find it, I post it here in the hope it is useful for someone. My apologies if it is duplicate.

I am just starting to use MM and this is already a problem for me: you want to create marker groups that you want to re-use in different maps - and you would like to be able to update them as well. In my example, I am creating a MMAP for different projects (one MM per project). I want al these projects to have the same resources. So I create a Marker list and add these to my projects.

So far so good, but now a new resource arrives, and I want to be able to add it, so it becomes available in all the projects I already have. The best way I have found to do this is as follows:

1. Locate the MMMS file that contains the marker list (the default path would be something like "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Mindjet\MindManager\22\Library\ENU\Map Marker Lists"
  2. Double-click it to open it in MM
  3. Add the resource
  4. Save and close the file.
  5. For each file where you want the new version of the Resources, go to tTheme Organizer/Marker Lists/Select your marker list (in this case, Resources) and click Apply.
  6. The Marker list will now be updated.

Of course, it would be better if step 5 was not needed (or automatic on Open). Not sure why this is so difficult. Possibly, it would not be too difficult to create a Macro like "Update Marker lists" that does this for you each time you open the file.

Note also that the next step is for this Marker list to be available for different users, so I do hope it is possible to place this on a network drive or Sharepoint in some way... .

Replies (2)

photo

A cheap and cheerful alternative is to create a dummy topic with any new text markers, icons or resources in the original map and then copy or send this topic to all the relevant maps. The text markers etc will then appear in the marker index of these maps.

photo

or, if you're are using MS Teams or SharePoint you can import the ressources vie SP-Linker

---