Find a task roll-up calculation that works with milestones

Nick D. shared this idea 14 months ago
Voting Open

Milestone tasks with zero duration are effectively ignored in task roll-up calculations. This leads to the situation where a rolled-up progress value is zero despite all sub-tasks being completed milestones, which is not intuitive.

0ffe9a4957e3f45668cefa766db1a956

A calculation that can take milestones into account would avoid this case. A nominal effort value on zero-duration milestones could be inferred for the purposes of roll-up calculation only. This will give technically inaccurate progress values when zero-duration milestones are mixed with real tasks, but is less worse than omitting milestones from roll-up calculations.

Replies (3)

photo

Maybe an extra rollup for milestones?

I vote for your suggestion,
But I also see that many projectmanagers don't know what the purpose of a milestone is.

And if so, they use it in many - sometimes confusing - ways

photo

Using milestones in this way is somewhat similar to using undated checklists in that you have to find an alternative to show progress on the parent topic. I've written a post on how to manage this on my blog: https://sociamind.com/2021/09/30/setting-up-alternative-checklists-in-mindmanager/

You could adopt this approach, using a SmartRule to add a value to a topic property if a milestone is present, then counting the number of these compared to the total number of subtopics to provide a measure of progress on the parent topic.

photo

This is a very good idea. Milestones are in the task info pane. It is therefore necessary to integrate them in the consolidation

---