I want to export to PowePoint but don't have that option

Matt G. shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Replies (2)

photo

This has been extensively discussed in various threads in this forum. With the MM21 service pack the ability to export slides as images was reinstated, but unfortunately not outlines.

There are suggested workarounds by me and others which can be seen at this thread. https://community.mindmanager.com/topic/121-export-of-slides-to-powerpoint-is-not-an-option-why

photo

Thanks Alex. I have to say this is disappointing. If I'd realised this was no longer supported I would have gone with another option. Maybe I need to write this off to experience? How can we put pressure on MM to reintroduce this?

photo

Hi Matt. I think all we can do is lobby MindManager. This problem has been the subject of several complaints on this forum, but I've just realised that the only suggestion seeking to reinstate the export facility as a voteable idea was in Dutch and consequently didn't receive much support. I've now made a proposal in English asking for the export facility to be restored and I would encourage you and any other MindManager users affected by this issue to vote for it: https://community.mindmanager.com/topic/904-reintroduce-the-ability-to-export-slides-as-outlines-or-images-direct-to-powerpoint

photo

It depends on the purpose of exporting to PowerPoint.

If you want to export a map to PowerPoint so that you have a basic outline that you can continue to develop in PPT, then the original PPT export would have been fine. The process involves using MindManager to sketch a structure, then abandoning the map once it has been exported.

If you want to export a map to PowerPoint and continue to develop both the map and the presentation, this is tough to do with PPT. Ideally you need a synchronisation rather than export, so that changes in PPT are synced back to the map, and changes in the map are synced to PPT even if you have added more decoration or extra slides in PPT. This would be an ideal world but is complex to achieve technically. The Slides feature in MindManager delivers this natively.

If you want to export a map to PPT simply for the file format, there is a brute force workaround that I have used when a PPT format was mandatory. I created the presentation in MindManager slides, exported all the slides to 1920x1080 images, then imported each image into a PPT slide, maximised to fill the slide. It doesn't take all that long to do and produces a PPT file, although the files can be very large.

photo

Hi Nick,

I agree, though I think people often want to do a combination of all of these, or rather different aspects at different times. In my case while occasionally I want to export images, it's the outlining I now miss the most.

Now slide image export has been reinstated, importing slide images into a PowerPoint file isn't too bad. You can use PowerPoint's import album facility to import the MM slide images and create new PowerPoint slides en masse, maximised, in one hit - though we really shouldn't have to do even this.

However, the workarounds for outline export are even more kludgy, and frustrating, as PowerPoint can obviously recognise the map hierarchy to some extent at the slide level, but not the whole map structure. This means the transfer has to be done on a slide-by-slide basis.

I'm intrigued by your comment regarding two-way synchronisation with PowerPoint. I confess I hadn't thought of this before, but the more I do the more I like the idea. While this would be complex to set up, at least one of MindManager's competitors offers this facility. It's also worth noting that most of MindManager's competitors still offer PowerPoint export, in some cases as well as some innovative slide features of their own.

photo

Hello Matt.

The technology that we used to facilitate this capability has been retired so we had no option but to remove that capability from the offer.

We are looking at other options to re-introduce, but nothing is finalized at this point.

Cheers... Blair

---