HTML5 in a wordpress environment

boertjebartje63 shared this question 2 years ago
Discussion Open

Does anyone has experience in embedding a HTML5 mind map in a Wordpress website?

If so, are there any special circumstances or problems, that you did cope with?

Thanks in advance!

Replies (1)

photo

I worked out how to do this a few years ago, but then switched to using MindManager's Publish feature when that became available. I wrote an article describing the process back in 2017. I noted back then that the following limitations applied:

"...if your website is hosted at WordPress.com you cannot upload an HTML page at all. On the other hand if you use the WordPress application on a site hosted by you or a third party you can upload an HTML file but you will need to use a plug-in to install it successfully. ... requires the use of the iframe plug-in."

Since I haven't done anything around embedding HTML5 maps in Wordpress for a few years and certainly not since the new block editing system was adopted, I don't know if this limitation still applies. There may also be some changes at the MindManager end, however I think the basic approach outlined in my article is basically the same.

photo

Dear Alex,

Thank you so much for your answer and investigation!

I will try the solutions you gave. Perhaps that it all has been improved ever since you posted this. But as I am not very skillful either with HTML or WordPress it will take some time and effort for me to find the right way. But if I succeed, I will certainly inform you.

Anyway thanks for thinking along!

Best regards,

Bart

photo

Thanks Bart.

I should stress that by far the easiest option is to publish the map in HTML5 which will create a unique URL which you can simply paste in your website.

If you want the map to appear in the website, one option is to save it as an image (or take a screen shot of it) and paste that in your WordPress post or page. Then publish the HTML5 version and add the link for this to the image of the map. This way if people click on the static image they will be taken to the interactive HTML5 map.

photo

That's a nice alternative indeed and maybe more within my reach...;-)

photo

Thanks. There is another powerful advantage to the publish option which I've just remembered.

If you embed an HTML5 map in a website you will have to upload it again to the website every time you make a change to the map, no matter how minor. With the publish option you don't have to do this; you just need to republish the updated map using the same URL.

If you are using my suggestion of posting an image of a map on the website which is linked to the published HTML5 version, then making only minor changes won't necessitate uploading a new image; if people want to explore the map further they will click on it anyway and probably won't notice that the actual map looks slightly different to the website image.

Obviously if you make drastic changes to the map and in particular its appearance it's probably advisable to upload an updated image to match the republished map, but this is relatively simple to do.

---