feeding a map from multiple excel spreadsheets?

Chris C. shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

I have a spreadsheet with multiple sheets, each with different types and amounts of data (differing column/row counts). Is there a way to create a single map using multiple Excel data mappings?

I need to be able to feed Topic Level 1 from sheet 1, topic level 2, and maybe level 3, from sheet 2, etc. Then another topic at level 1 from sheet 4, etc.

Same question, only using multiple Excel files?

Thank you

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Chris,

the Excel Data Mapper can read only one sheet the create the topics in a hierarchical structure.

Create a new sheet in your Excel file with all the data you want and read this with the Data Mapper.

Best, Andreas

photo

Hi Chris,

As Andreas said, one option would be to create a single consolidated spreadsheet in an Excel file with links to the data you you want on the other sheets or in other files and use the MindManager Excel Data Mapper to create a map based on that material.

Alternatively, you could use the Data Mapper in MindManager to create separate maps linked to each sheet in each Excel file that you want to incorporate. You could then create a dashboard map and use the Map Roll-up facility with each of these maps to bring the Excel information into this dashboard map.

Each approach has its advantages and disadvantages. The first option is fiddly to set up within Excel especially if you have different data types spread across different sheets and files but you only need to run the Data Mapper once to create a single map, and updating is straightforward.

On the other hand, the second option requires you to run the Data Mapper separately with each Excel file and sheet and then set up the dashboard map - and updating is similarly cumbersome, plus you have to update the dashboard map as well. However, you don't have to consolidate the Excel files to start off with, and it is much easier to handle disparate types and formats. This also makes it easier to import additional Excel files and to delete existing ones.

photo

Thank you both. I'm pursuing both at the moment.

---