How to insert a number or text into a shape

david_lovece shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

No matter what to try, a simple thing does not work, a block or a circle or a tringle, no way to insert a number or letter, not possible either to bring the shape up not down, is greyed out.

Please post or email me

Replies (3)

photo

Please. Include a small video of the behavior.

There maybe a simple solution.

photo

Somewhat perversely, MindManager does not provide an easy way to add text to a shape. You can give a shape a title, but this only appears outside the shape - there is no way to add it within the shape.

There are two workarounds. The first is to use a text box together with a shape. To do this, create the shape, then click inside it and add a text box with the relevant text. Align this text box within the shape and format both as required. Select both the shape and the text box, right click and from the context menu choose Group. This will lock the shape and text box together so they will stay aligned if you move or rotate them

The second is to create a floating topic with the relevant text, then add a shape around the topic. Format both as required, then select the shape, right click and from the context menu choose Topic Container. This will lock the floating topic and shape together, but not as effectively as the first option; for example, they will stay locked if you move them around the map but the floating topic won't rotate and if you move it too close to other topics the alignment between the floating topic and shape can be affected.

photo

The easy way to see the problem, get a shape like a bubble with a word like "test" inside, almost not possible because of the time it takes. see attached this simple example.

photo

I agree the situation is not ideal, especially as the shape you want to use is labelled as a text bubble, and I know the workarounds I suggested involve a lot of steps for something that MindManager should be able to do easily. I suggest you post this as an idea for an additional feature.

As an alternative, have you considered using callouts? Under Topic Shape you can choose a thought bubble which looks very similar to your example - and of course you can add text easily to callouts.

---