How do I access Chrome bookmarks and place in a map

Greg shared this question 2 years ago
Discussion Open

How can I access the folder structure of the Chrome bookmarks into a map folder structure?

b24ce36f9cbbc2170ef2464cb8927b3c

Replies (3)

photo

This is feasible but actually quite complex for several reasons.

For a start, the Chrome bookmark folder structure can only be exported as a flat HTML file (you can also open the bookmark list and highlight and copy the links, but you have to do this separately for each sub-folder). You then have to convert this file into something MindManager can deal with, like a Word file.

This is where it starts to get difficult - finding a way for MindManager to import this list, recognise the folder structure, create topics using the link names and then add the bookmarks as hyperlinks to each topic. Things have become even more complicated since MindManager introduced the new Word import and export system.

It is however, still possible, using a couple of workarounds. I wrote a post several years ago on how to import similar lists into previous versions of MindManager; given the number of steps involved in doing this with the current version I'll revise that article rather than attempt to answer your request here. I'll post an update here when the article is posted.

If anyone knows a simpler way to do this or if it can be dome programmatically, please let me know. I'm also going to suggest an idea to MindManager that they look at adding a facility to import bookmark and url lists easily into MindManager.

photo

I've published an updated article on my blog describing how to import URL lists, including bookmark/favourite lists, using both MindManager 21 and previous versions: Turning URL lists into mindmaps: MindManager 2021 update | Sociamind

photo

Thank you for your time and effort. It works. It is a shame that this can not be done directly through MM and the process be reverse engineered to exported changes back into the bookmarks folder as MM is perfect for this process.

photo

Thanks Greg.

I agree that the process of importing URL/Bookmark lists should be made much simpler, and I'm going to suggest that as a new idea.

Edit: As for the reverse process, in theory you should be able to do this using the Export as Web Pages option but I don't seem to be able to get this to work..

---