Sync autocorrect contents across devices (follow up)

Wilhelm shared this idea 11 days ago
Voting Open

For some reason I can't update or reply to my earlier questions (here), so I'll have to provide an update as a new question and to say thank you to Ary V (response) and Alex G (response) who responded with advice.

I used your ideas to come up with the following solution:

1. I created a folder in OneDrive and copied my Windows auto complete list (default.acl typically located in something like C:\Users\YourUserFolder\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Spelling\en-AU\)
  2. I then created two executable text files (bat) to compare the local file with the one in OneDrive - one file to copy the local file to OneDrive if it's 'newer' and another to copy the OneDrive file to my local machine if it's 'newer'.
  3. I adapted these for each of my devices (now 3 in total) and added shortcuts for both files on all desktops as 'Get AutoCorrect' and 'Send AutoCorrect'.

Now, all I have to do is remember to click the shortcuts to Send it to OneDrive on the device I used last, and to Get it from OneDrive when I grab a new device.

This has proved very do-able and saves me a lot of time, so I thought I'd share both these files here in case it might help someone else. (Just remember to change the extension to "bat" and edit the contents to reflect your file structure.)

Leave a Comment

Attach a file