Sync autocorrect contents across devices

Wilhelm shared this question 4 months ago
Discussion Open

I use MindManager on my PC at home, and also when I visit clients on my laptop. Is there a way to sync my autocorrect contents across multiple devices without having to copy/past the file every time?

Replies (2)

photo

I don't know about autocorrect, but...

If you store your files in one of the cloud services that are available, you can open the latest version of your file from any device.

photo

Hi Wilhelm,

If you mean the AutoCorrect list where you can add words to the dictionary I don't think you can sync these automatically. However, while I haven't tried this it should be possible to copy the relevant file (as well as any custom dictionaries) from one computer to another. Bear in mind though that starting with version 22 MindManager uses the Windows Spellcheck API, so if you change the auto correct settings on the destination computer this will also apply to all Microsoft Office applications as well as MindManager.

I should also stress that this is one way to do this and there are other options in Windows/Office - see the discussions at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/sync-autocorrect-over-all-computers/1346d00c-f487-4cc5-b31a-a0f7d38b4134 and https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-can-i-sync-office-word-settings-such-as-added/22845057-1674-4c41-bde7-20985cff6e41. My final word of warning is that different versions of Office may handle these files differently so note the instruction in step 5 below to back up the relevant files first in the destination computer.

As I said I haven't tried this, but if you still want to proceed here are the steps:

1. Go to File/Options/Spelling in MindManager and click on Custom Dictionaries. A dictionary list should appear with at least one entry which is likely to be default.dic.
  2. Click on that and look at the path below. It should be something like D:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Spelling\en (or whatever language you are using). Highlight and copy this, then go to File Explorer and paste the path there.
  3. Delete the file name at the end of the path and hit enter. You should be taken to the folder which contains the default.dic file as well as the default.acl file - the latter is the auto correct file.
  4. Copy either or both the default.dic and default.acl files and transfer to the destination computer. Use the same approach described above to find the appropriate folder there.
  5. Back up or make copies of the existing files in the destination folder before proceeding. Then paste the copied default.dic and default.acl in the folder.

Obviously you would need to do this every time you make changes to the AutoCorrect file or add words to the custom dictionary if you want the files in both computers to continue being identical.

---