MM20's api page didn't show correct/clear information on how to write addon. thx

krsto e. shared this question 13 days ago
Discussion Open

hi,

i stay at mm2020 at it's the latest version that can stay offline, airgapped.

i plan to use mm2020 + visual studio community edition 2022 + github copilot plugin to help me write addons. [1]

however in mm2020's api page (at bottom): (I removed most part just let you know it's still using old names)

at page https://www.mindmanager.com/en/pages/developers/api/20/#Step2ConfigureVisualStudio.html

the code mentioned how to modify registry for mindmanager 8, 9, 10 (i.e. 2012), 11 but DO NOT mention mm 2020. I dont know the internal version number for MM2020.

And it only mentioned V studio 2010.

this API documents is published in year 2020 when MM2020 is out,

and it only mention old version of mindmanager and V studio?

i keep on getting errors even with help from AIs.

would like seek advices.

thanks

ps:

1. V studio is used over VS code is because others said V studio is better for writing programs that work with microsoft products.

<br>                    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00<br>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\AddinWizard]<br>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\AddinWizard\MindManager 8]<br>"RegistryRoot"="Software\\Mindjet\\MindManager\\8\\AddIns"<br>"DisplayAdvFeatures"=dword:00000000<br>"StartupFlag"=dword:00000002<br>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\AddinWizard\MindManager 9]<br>"RegistryRoot"="Software\\Mindjet\\MindManager\\9\\AddIns"<br>"DisplayAdvFeatures"=dword:00000000<br>"StartupFlag"=dword:00000002<br>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\AddinWizard\MindManager 10]<br>"RegistryRoot"="Software\\Mindjet\\MindManager\\10\\AddIns"<br>"DisplayAdvFeatures"=dword:00000000<br>"StartupFlag"=dword:00000002<br>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\AddinWizard\Mindjet 11]<br>"RegistryRoot"="Software\\Mindjet\\MindManager\\11\\AddIns"<br>"DisplayAdvFeatures"=dword:00000000<br>"StartupFlag"=dword:00000002<br>

Best Answer
photo

hi, the method from the mm22 api finally worked:

23fc9b4103caa31e7e8a867d88001ebb

i can compile and run it's sample addin so i think i can now begin blank new projects and ask V studio /w github copilot to guide me thru.

thank you.

ps: the above is the sample addin from mm22's api,

i guess it mean i have setup the system.

Replies (5)

photo

may be i could dig out a solution if i analyze MM21 and 22's API 's config page but that would be very frustrating for me.

thanks

photo

others found the same hestitations,

user @Nick pointed that out authentically here:

https://community.mindmanager.com/topic/380-create-a-project-for-an-add-in-in-visual-studio-2019

i wish if mindmanager could be as popular as obsidian, so there are more macros/addons than that i can use.

photo

looks like Nick's map is using VB,

if you use C#, some keywords are changed e.g. compile vs build tab.

photo

Title: Faced a Real Challenge with Limited Support

I recently encountered what we call in Chinese "吃力不討好" — a situation where a lot of effort yields little appreciation or positive results. It translates to something like a "thankless task" or "all pain, no gain" in English. This perfectly sums up my experience: despite considerable effort, the outcome was neither satisfying nor rewarding.

The company offered no support, the community around this tool is small, and the programming effort it requires is significant. It really comes down to how committed you are to programming in MindManager, given these challenges.

photo

I think the Add-in Wizard in Visual Studio has been gone for many years, so there is no benefit in trying to recreate this particular tool for newer versions of MindManager or Visual Studio. The MindManager 22 API documentation is more up to date with examples. There is not a lot of difference in the object models between versions of MindManager.

If you can do what you need to do with macros, App Studio avoids the pain of developing Add-ins. But there are some things that macros cannot do because they only exist when they are running.

photo

hi Nick,

is it possible for you to simply paste that map as text (indented so in tree form) so i could copy and paste?

Yesterday the ProgIDAttribute used me sometime to know that it's a ID instead of some other alphabets.

I'll try once today and paste here if i got them correct.

so far mm2020+V studio community edition + copilot is not working for me.

this time i wanna get the mmap's checksum and write the content of the clipboard as plain txt into a .md file,

so macro is not enough for me now.

and, with AI like copilot or cursor, it MAY spark some new things. let's see.

thank you.

photo

hi,

i use mm2020, V studio commun edition 2022.

i followed the map, edited thru Step5.

even in step6, there are .dll

however in step7 when i start the project, it say the addin cant be loaded.

i did ticked it in the list:

a0e609015260fdd8406548b3fbf7ace9

but it immediately rejected:

a1e469c9d4d0e65fd0670bed44344fdb

in V studio, i dont see error in the build.

i am using 64bit mm2020, cpu is 64bit i5 8250u and thus i chose x64 which is appropriate.

pls see if anything i can do, thank you.

ps: the "connecting message" didn't shown.

i have already used admin account so the build can register the registry.

photo

if Nick's map's method dont work, i'll try to use mm2022's api's method,

which provided a template: https://www.mindmanager.com/en/pages/developers/api/22/#Step4CreateRegistryKey.html

thanks

i use mm only except i sleep, so i reallly want to add some functions to it.

photo

i tried using mm2022's method, smooth go but nothing appears in the immediate window thus it could be "not loaded". will troubleshoot later.

no luck.

photo

An Add-in is necessary if you need to use Business Topics, create a custom Task Pane, listen for topic modification events, create a commercial extension product for MindManager, or just like a big challenge :) Most other requirements can be delivered with MindManager Macros, and App Studio if you want tabs and buttons in the ribbon. An export to Markdown could be implemented with a macro. Add-ins take five to ten times longer to write than macros, even if you have a working skeleton to begin with.

photo

hi, the method from the mm22 api finally worked:

23fc9b4103caa31e7e8a867d88001ebb

i can compile and run it's sample addin so i think i can now begin blank new projects and ask V studio /w github copilot to guide me thru.

thank you.

ps: the above is the sample addin from mm22's api,

i guess it mean i have setup the system.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file