MindManager on MacOS - Why so bad?

Thomas O. shared this question 17 days ago
Answered

I've been using MindManager for 20+ years.

Every time I attempt to use it for something creative, it seems to have gotten worse.
Seriously, what are you guys thinking? Have you read ANY OF THE ORIGINAL BOOKS on Mind Mapping? Or ever drawn an actual Mind Map by hand? Or watched any Tony Buzan videos?

Anyway - by default - all of the subtopics are absolutely bunched up:

0a28639ae6c8ab0f244f7b2b1048eb9c

If I try to space them out, I can change the vertical distance between them, but not the distance from the central topic. I don't have a way of adding a branch and having it not be bunched up.

With the central topic selected, if I change the subtopic distance to say 20mm - what should happen is they are spaced out - but nothing happens. Why the lack of basic quality control for the most fundamental functions?

fa4084eca8e3fc2fab1c46608669e9ae

See - if I set it to 20mm - nothing happens:

1f60b7d8cccd5a778ed4318f0aa00f88

So if I want to create more space on the screen to think (MindMapping 101), my only option is to drag these around. Balance map doesn't maintain space any more. This is a complete deal breaker for me. The only way I can get topics to be not-bunched up is the manually drag them. Then if I click balance map, they all get squeezed together.

Why is MindManager from over a decade ago SO MUCH BETTER for the most basic aspects:

https://youtu.be/sj2p17q6x8E?feature=shared&t=51

Here - it shows how you can easily create a mind map with a spacious layout - and then click balance map to maintain a sense of space.

I'm using the latest version on MacOS. Now that you've switched to subscription only - at the very least you could uphold basic quality control in your app. It seems like something else entirely is going on.

Literally, there have been various times I've set out to map something creative (a deeply ingrained habit) and there is no flow at all with what you've turned MM into. This is such a shame because for years, MM was one of my favourite pieces of software of all. I would spent hours zoning out thinking creatively in flow states and mapping my thoughts.

Do you have any intentions to fix MindManager so it works as well as it used to? Can I expect to use it and feel a sense of space? Or what options are there for refunds?

Replies (2)

photo

I can only talk about the Win version.
The formatting worked for me.

I can only talk about the Win version. I can use ready-made layouts or customise my own layout.

I work almost exclusively in MM and these options are sufficient for my purposes.
Perhaps you will also find these settings in the Mac version.

Maybe someone else has other ideas or possibilities.

68eed31faaa2ac5262dd7ebaf42dc10f

photo

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your feedback. I had our QA Team investigate the distance from parent and distance from sibling formatting issues and they were reproduced on our end. This will be addressed in the next release of MindManager Mac but I do not have a timeline to provide at this time.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

-Marian

Leave a Comment

Attach a file