Search in attachments to maps

Richard P. shared this question 13 days ago
Discussion Open

Is there a way to search the attachments to a map?

Replies (3)

photo

In my opinion, links yes, but attachments no.

a2fc34fb5b4e2e0b22b75ce5511980e8

photo

it's not possible to search the content of an attachment.

The map index shows a list of all links and attachments

2e69bc26df5f2e5a51e63e7f04c3ca15

photo

Link searching doesnt work either. By that, I mean searching for a word thats IN a linked document, not searching for anything WITH a linked document

photo

While you can't use MindManager's own search feature to look for specific words or text strings in linked documents, you can search for them using Windows File Explorer's file search facility.

If you go down this route it simplifies matters if you can save all the linked files in the same folder (this is also useful if you later want to copy and send the map and linked files to someone else).

If you use the same searches often, you can save the searches themselves using File Explorer in a specific sub-folder and then add links either to that sub-folder or to the searches directly in the mind map. The best way to do this is to select the option you want from the drop-down menu in File Explorer on the Dashboards tab under Advanced on the Ribbon and then select the relevant folder or search file. One or more sub-topics should then be inserted for each folder or search file with these appearing as links on each subtopic.

To see the linked folders or search files click on the link in the relevant subtopic and either the folders containing the searches or the search results themselves will appear. It's best to ensure that the Use Internal Browser for Links option is unticked under Link in Topic Elements in the Insert ribbon.

photo

Hi Richard,

use the advanced search in the task pane. See this short video.

Regards Andreas

photo

Hi Andreas,

What format do the files you are searching for in the example video use? and where are they stored?

I couldn't get this to work with searches for words in the content of linked Word or MindManager files stored locally, nor could I get it to work with linked websites. It only seems to work where the word appears in the file or website name, or if the word appears in the file path for stored files.

photo

Hi Alex,

This is the same as in my example above. The search term is in the link title. It does not work in the title of the attachment.
It works under 2 conditions:
1. i search in a mindmap
2. i know in which folder
Which does not work:
Follow the link and search there.b300120dfd8a69aae35e584009e27f3f

photo

It doesn't matter in my tests. I did this in the German and English version.

The Advanced search found the string/word and listed it.

It doesn't work with the standard search Ctrl+F. I tried to search and replace text in links. That failed

photo

searching terms in attachments is not included in the advanced search 😉

photo

Just to clarify, you can find text strings in mind maps in searches of nominated folders.

To quote the OP, he was looking for "a word that's IN a linked document" and not just the document name. I think it is clear that you can't specify this directly - a search just of the current document only won't show the string inside a linked file (but it will show if the string is in the link title or file path).

If however you have collected all your linked files in a single folder or group of folders you can specify this folder in the search, but (in my experience at least) this search won't show the string in the content of a file unless that file is a mind map.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file