Count all tags that match certain criteria smartrule or formula

fnorrmann shared this question 13 days ago
Discussion Open

Hi,

I would like to add a property to a topic that is calculated with a formula. The formula should count all instances of topics that contina a specific tag. For example:

Under a main topic I have a total of 10 subtopics. 5 of these have a "red" tag and 3 have a "green" tag. The formula/rule/macro should automatically show a property "red = 5" and "green = 3" in the main topic. I know I can see this "count" in the right pane tag section, but I would like to show this at the topic level so this can be exported to a report.

Is this possible at all?

Thank you,

Replies (4)

photo

In my opinion, counting or calculating with branches with a certain tag does not work.

I want to try another solution later. The approach is via SmartRules.

René

photo

That would be my approach. Define property via SmartRules. Trigger are the tags and then count with formulas.

I'm sure there are other possibilities.

9b69d508886f36dfb5be93762884a4b8

photo
photo

René is correct - the only way to count tags or icons within a map (as opposed to the count in the Marker Index) is to use a combination of SmartRules to assign numeric topic properties based on the tag or icon and then use formulas to total these.

A few years ago I wrote a post on my blog describing in more detail how to do this:

https://sociamind.com/2019/04/04/mindmanager-integrations-1-tags-and-icons-to-topic-properties-the-basics/

photo

Thank you, that works but it becomes hard to manage when you have a lot of tags. I was hoping to be able to work around the having to assign a property for each tag, and have a more direct way to count all the tags that match a specific "text", w/o having to assign a "bridge" property (which would need to be hidden to keep the visuals tidy).

Could macros be used for something more sophisticated or is this overkill?

photo

I'll leave it to others to comment on the potential to use macros to do this. I just wanted to observe that part of the problem is that MindManager formulas only work with numeric topic properties, unlike Excel where there are functions that allow you for example to count each instance of a word or a text string in a range of cells.

It would be great if there was the equivalent of Excel's COUNTIF function to count either the number of tags in a map depending on their contents either directly of at least via the creation of topic properties based on these tags. It would also be useful if a dynamic map legend could be inserted into the map linked to relevant group in the Map Index which would automatically maintain a count of each tag.

photo
photo

I've posted the need to have a simple way to count tags or icons as an idea: https://community.mindmanager.com/topic/2558-show-a-dynamic-count-of-tags-and-icons-based-on-formulas-within-the-map

So, if you think this is a good idea please vote for it!

Leave a Comment

Attach a file