Custom integer attribute that sums to rollup levels

Wilhelm shared this question 51 days ago
Discussion Open

How do I add a custom integer attribute to a task that will behave like Effort in terms of summing when rolled up?

I tried Autocalc with Sum on all descendants, but then it doesn't roll up like the values for Tasks do and I have to manually add the AutoCalc ([Estimate (hours)]=SUM(Children[Estimate (hours)])) to every single topic in the tree until I get to the leave node. (...and you can imagine how that goes if the tree is constantly growing and changing, since there doesn't seem to be a 'recalc' option anywhere.)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies (2)

photo

There are two options I can think of.

The first is to use the Cost field, assuming you are not using it for anything else. This approach has the advantage that you can roll-up costs in the same way as effort or duration. All you need to do is to go to the Task Info tab then into Calendar and Task options and replace the currency symbol with a space (if you just try to delete the symbol the costs field seems to default back to the dollar sign). Then reduce the number of decimal places to zero.

Then go to the central topic (or the highest topic that you are rolling up to) and tick Roll up Costs on the Task Info tab. You will still get the Costs "moneybag" icon but the central and/or relevant parent topics will automatically total the numbers.

If however you are already using the Costs field you will have to use the second option. This is to add a topic property to a dummy subtopic with Integer as the type and then add this topic to the Map Parts tab - say we call this "Test". You can then create a second dummy topic with the following formula - [Test]=SUM(Children.[Test]) ie, the property created by the formula has the same name as the property being summed.

You then add both these dummy topics as Selected topics to the Map Parts tab. to use them simply click on the topic to which you want to add either a topic with just the property, or a parent topic which will sum or roll up this property.

photo

Maybe this can help and you find here your solution.

https://www.olympic-limited.co.uk/mindmanager-add-ins/map-for-mindmanager/topic-properties/

A macro for inserting properties would be good.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file