Edit tag names using the 'Find and Replace' function

Angus M. shared this question 2 months ago
Discussion Open

Hello MindManager Hive Mind

I would like to edit tag names using the Find & Replace function because in my map there are too many (several thousand) to do them one at a time within the Index Marker pane (the only place it can be done) as it takes ages to manually edit each one (as has been pointed out by the experts here in other posts, if the index marker pane is open when editing it re-builds the index after every edit, so the more markers there are, the longer each edit takes...).

The changes I want to make are straightforward....

1. Change the year - replace the year in any tag name with another year (each map is for a different calendar year) eg. replace the text '2023' with '2024'

2. Alter the format - Sometimes I want to go back and change the format of the tag names eg. rather than 'space dash space' remove the spaces to just leave the dash.

I note in MindManager 2020 (getting all my map ducks in a row before upgrading) that I can use the 'Find' function to find tags with specified tag string elements, but the tag ooption is greyed out in the 'Replace' tab :-(

I'm therefore just wondering if this ability is now enabled in the latest version? If not is it possible to do it using a macro? Great though the Olympic MAP addon is for other map elements, it doesn't enable tag editing (I have version 4.2, I haven't been notified of more recent versions).

Thanking the MindManager Hive Mind in advance :-)

Replies (2)

photo

the following way to change names run fine on WIN MM2023 Enterprise & WIN MM2021
5ca79f4e06e69e661d0b57fd08ad73a8
8c5b5264bc549b94d0001016164a4fb9
41efd5d39ad9d0750fec2a2cf1e4f2c8

photo

Hi Jorg

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately as far as I can see this is just another way of accessing the standard Find and Find & Replace dialogue boxes which work fine on branch text but not index marker tags as far as find & replace goes.

Best regards

Angus

photo
photo

Hi Angus,

The Find and Replace function in MindManager still does not apply to Tags in version 2023.

One suggestion would be to rename the tags in the Index, which would update the tags on existing topics in bulk.

Turn off 'Show Topics per Marker' and 'Show Topic Counts' in the Index options and that should prevent the index from having to rebuild with each change.
506eb07595352e66c054bc275da6f7bc

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

-Marian

photo

Hi Marian

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. Yes indeed that does makes things a bit quicker (~5 seconds per tag as opposed to 15 - 30 seconds depending on the number of tags in the map). Possibly still not quick enough though to preserve my sanity ;-) I will probably be investigating the macro option...

Best regards

Angus

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file