Enable MindManager maps to be indexed

Nick D. shared this idea 4 months ago
Voting Open

The contents of MindManager maps should indexable, so that they can be searched quickly by indexing software. The current search through folders is extremely slow.

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Nick,

Is this because of the number and the size of the maps you have?

With over 4,000 files and 1GB in my maps folder (most, but not all of which are maps), I'm getting reasonably fast searches including map text using File Explorer on Windows 10. I suspect though that you have many more maps than that.

photo

Thanks Alex

The File Explorer search will find folders and map names. but I have not had any luck with searching map contents. I searched for a word that I know is in topic text but is not part of the map name, and it was not found. Is there some configuration somewhere that affects this?

photo

Hi Nick,

That’s strange. When I saw your post I did a search on a few words that appeared in maps and not their titles and File Explorer found them without any problems. It can also find map keywords set under file/property, but not it seems categories, comments or any other of the file properties.

I’m just going to bed now but I’ll have another look tomorrow and see if I can work out what the trick is.

photo

Hi Nick,

Yes, I can confirm that I can search the contents of MM maps via File Explorer, and this applies to both topic names and notes as well as file level keywords.

In terms of how FE is set up on my PC, under Search/Advanced options, both File Contents and System Files are ticked under "In non-indexed locations". Under the Search tab in View/Options/Folder Options both "Include system directories" and "Always search file names and contents" are also ticked. These are the only relevant options I can find at this stage for File Explorer.

photo

Thanks Alex. You are right, this works OK for limited searches, e.g. in a folder with no subfolders. If I widen the search to higher levels then it returns nothing, even if I have indexed beforehand and leave it for a few hours.

photo

Hi Nick,

This is very strange, as I can search at my top level maps folder and still find words in topics inside maps which are down several layers of subfolders.

In fact, after our last exchange on this I indexed the map folder to see what difference if any that would make, but to be frank I quite forgot about it until I saw your latest comment. I've retested it and there does indeed appear to be a difference - the search function seems to be even faster!

I'm wondering if there is some other factor at work here. I'm getting these search results on a 10 or 11-year-old desktop, which is still fairly quick on its feet. However, as it isn't compatible with Windows 11 I'm still running version 10, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. And regardless of what version of Windows you are running it might be worth opening MindManager on another machine to see if you get a different result.

photo
photo

https://www.ifiltershop.com/downloads/mindmanagerfilter/readme.html

The "MindManager IFilter Server Edition Release 3.0 README" file contains comprehensive information about the MindManager IFilter, a plug-in designed to enable Microsoft Search products and services to index Mindjet MindManager maps. Here's a summary of its key points:

1. General Information: MindManager IFilter facilitates the indexing of Mindjet MindManager maps (versions X5 to 2022) for Microsoft Search products. It's compatible with SharePoint Server, SQL Server Full-Text Search, Windows Search, and others.
2. System Requirements:
- Server Operating Systems: Windows Server 2012, 2016, 2019, 2022.
- Desktop Operating Systems: Windows 10, 11.
- Supported Microsoft Search Products: SharePoint Server (2013, 2016, 2019), SQL Server (2014, 2016, 2017, 2019), Windows Search.
3. Information Retrieval: Extracts text and metadata (like author name, email, category, comments, company name, creation/modification dates, keywords, language, manager, subject, version) from MindManager files.
4. Office Document Properties: Outputs standard indexing service properties as duplicates of certain MindManager properties.
5. Installation Instructions: Involves stopping search services, uninstalling previous IFilter versions, running setup file, restarting services, and re-indexing catalogs with MindManager files.
6. Additional Setup Steps: Specific steps for SharePoint Server, SQL Server, and Windows Search, including configuration of a custom temporary directory for Windows Search.
7. Uninstallation: Can be done through "Add/Remove Program" or the IFilter uninstall program.
8. Known Issues: Issues with Windows Search and the requirement for a custom temporary directory.
9. What's New in Version 3.0: Support for MindManager 2012-2022 files, improved handling of undefined properties, and updated support for SharePoint and SQL Server versions.
10. Contact Information: Provides website and email for support.

This README file is a comprehensive guide for users needing to integrate Mindjet MindManager maps with Microsoft Search technologies, detailing everything from system requirements and installation to troubleshooting and contact information.

photo

Thank you. I did not know this existed.

photo

oh no.

version 2 is free afair.

version 3 need usd50!?

previously it's free for non commercial user:

IFILTERSHOP End User Non-Commercial License Agreement

photo
photo

there are offline google desktop alike programs that index file's contents.

some could treat a .mmap as a zip file, with the .xml as plain text.

this is how i search for content of a .mmap

personally i never used windows search + indexing.

photo

Windows search is working just fine for me when looking for mind map content and is incredibly fast with indexing.

photo
photo

any news from the OP?

thanks

Leave a Comment

Attach a file