How to improve Macro execution speed in MM 23.1.240?

Pieter v. shared this question 6 months ago
Answered

When running an existing macro in MM 23 its execution speed is about 1/tenth of what it was in MM 22.

Do I something wrong?

(I was a betatester; the beta version also was labeled 23.1.240, could that play a role?)

Replies (2)

photo

Don't be afraid of high speed.

I have the same feeling.

I installed the new version 23.1.240 today. Have you uninstall the beta version? I remember reading that the beta version has to be uninstalled and then the stable version.

photo

Thank you René. I thought I had, but was not sure. Now I uninstalled and installed MM23 again. And indeed the macro now runs faster, but not as breathtaking as before. Unfortunately I did not keep time records in the past.

photo

For me, 23.1.240 is slightly faster than 22 with the same benchmark macro to create a few hundred topics. So perhaps it is a specific API call that is slower.

Did you close the task panes? The Task Info task pane and Map Index task panes make macros much slower, because they are continually refreshed. The Notes pane can also add extra load if you are working with topic notes.

photo

Thank you, Nick. In my case these panes were closed, but good to remind me for future finetuning.

BTW I noticed that MM22 continuously followed my cursor while the macro was building the map, while MM23 is fixed on the central topic. But as I said to René I regret that I had not a MM-researcher attitude all the time and did not keep records of such observations.

photo

Hello Pieter. You may already know this, but if you are building maps with macros, performance is much better if you use a transaction. I can provide sample code if it would help.

photo

Hi Nick, AFAIK that implies executing the macro actions in "silence" and only display the full map when the macro ends? Yes, that could be an option when I really want to use MM as a production server for a batch of maps. For now it is a great reward for me to see my MM macro struggling through my 8000+ instructions while I can sit back and relax and see that everything is going well. :)

PS Earlier I referred to MM22 and MM23, that should be MM23.0 and MM23.1.

photo

Hello Pieter. Here are two macros that use transactions: one is just a skeleton for a transaction and the other uses a transaction to generate a large map.

photo

Thank you, Nick!

---