How can I filter out relations?

arnout a. shared this question 3 years ago
Discussion Open

For more complex maps, I would like to filter (include/exclude) relations based on tags, icons or otherwise. At this point I have not find out how to do that. Is it possible or otherwise can this be made possible? It would be nice to add an option, when filtering out relation label topics, the relation itself is also hidden.

Replies (3)

photo

It’s a little unclear if you are trying to hide relationship lines, and if so whether you want to hide them globally or just selected ones. If you are talking about relationship lines you can remove them entirely from view by using Show/Hide.

photo

What I meant is the option to filter out the relationship lines based on power filter criteria set on the relationship label topic. I am aware of the show/hide option for all lines. I would like to use this to show the roadmap build up over time in steps via tags and filters. Unwanted relationships at some point clutter the picture unneccessarily.

photo

I don't think Relationships have independent filter control internally, in the same way that topics do. They are visible only when the objects at both ends are visible. As you suggest it would be a nice feature to filter relationships if all their callouts are filtered.

Large numbers of Relationships do make maps more difficult to use. In the past I have sometimes changed from using relationships to internal topic-to-topic links for this reason. I also make the relationship line faint, so that they are less prominent. As Alex says, you can turn them off in the Show/Hide menu. You can still easily jump from one topic to another because the Topic Info pane will show an icon for the hidden relationship.

---