Can I do "Walk Through" without Full Screen?

Mahesh S. shared this question 8 months ago
Answered

I am using a Wide-Screen Monitor. I would like to do the "Walk Through" without full screen. Is it possible

Replies (2)

photo

You could check if your wide screen monitor has the facility to split the screen into multiple virtual screens. If it can do this then you can show the walk through full screen in one of these screens and run another program in the other.

Assuming you are using Windows, another partial solution of sorts is to start the Walk Through, then click Ctrl-T. This should bring up the notes window and, assuming you have notes in vertical mode, you can resize the walk through and notes windows relative to each other.

This will work fine if all you want is to have the walk through window at a reasonable size on a wide screen monitor and don't mind the notes window taking up the rest of the screen. Unfortunately, it doesn't work so well with multiple windows. In theory you can open another program in a new window and drag it over the notes window so as to have it and the walk through side-by-side, but every time you move through the walk through the combined walk through and notes windows will cover the other program's window.

However, there is an option to overcome this, which is to download PowerToys for Windows. This has an Always on Top utility which means you can set the second window to always be on top and open as you move through the walk through.

Incidentally, in theory F11 should work as well as Ctrl T for calling up the notes, but sometimes it doesn't, especially if you have the notes window already open in the map when you go to the walk through (go figure). Ctrl T seems more reliable, and you can also use this combination to close the notes window as well as open it.

photo

Thanks Alex for your comment.

I like the single "Tab" feature for navigating the Mind Map along with "Autohide" to allow a quick review of the Mind Map while doing a Walk Through.

So Use Case here is "Quick Revision".

I think simplest solution can be to allow a Checkbox (Configuration) to toggle "Full Screen" feature On or Off when doing a Walk Through.

I do have PowerToys already installed to split my monitor into three regions. The "Full Screen" did a override of everything.

photo

I use the program Sizer.

You can define different window sizes. With an appropriate shortcut the window is changed to the desired size.

http://www.brianapps.net/sizer4/

photo

Hi Mahesh,

I agree with you that this would be a useful feature, and you should add this as a suggestion in the Share an idea section for others to vote on.

I wasn't suggesting PowerToys so much for the zone/region facility but more for the Always on Top feature, though this is useful only if you want something else open at the same time.

René, thanks for the tip re the Sizer app - I'll check it out.

photo

Hi Mahesh,

I minimize the program ribbon and use Ctrl + D to open and close the branches I need.

Function key F4 shows the active topic alone with his subtopics.

Ctrl + F3 closes all main topics and goes back to central topic

Regards Andreas

---