We cannot copy paste tables from Word document into Notes? Why?

Mahesh S. shared this question 10 months ago
Discussion Open

I was surprised to find out that I could not copy and paste tables from a Word document. Am I doing something wrong or this is as expected? If it is as expected, then why?

Replies (4)

photo

Wow...I found out about other odd behavior.

1. I cannot even copy tables from one Note to another in the same mindmap when copying notes from one sibling to another.

2. The same behavior is noted on formatted text. Any formatting also cannot be copied from one note to another. Formatted text from one note to another note cannot be copied with format? Is this also as expected?

f5c87ede28dea6a6665560206451fcb8

photo

Both copying tables from Word to topic notes and between topic notes seems to work fine for me, as does copying formatted text between notes.

However, there a potential cause for your problem. Go to File, Options. When the MindManager Options dialogue box opens, go to Edit and under Editing Options at the top of the box make sure there is a a tick in the box next to "On paste, use formatting from original".

If this is unticked, then copying text either as topics in the map or into a topic note will result in the text being pasted without any formatting (including tables).

photo

Hi Alex,

I could find the root cause precisely to what you are pointing to.

I believe the MindManager development team should fine-tune the settings.

1. Scenario 1: You copy outside content into the Mindmap as Parent-Child branches. In this scenario, one will never want to copy the format from the source and instead use the format of the target Mindmap.

2. Scenario 2: In this case, you copy content from outside or within the Mindmap into the Notes. Here formatting like Copying tables etc, should be allowed.

It appears copy paste configuration for Notes and Branches should be configurable separately. The current configuration is creating contradictions in two different use cases.

photo

I agree the settings should be rethought, but a more flexible approach would be to offer the same options for pasting copied material both as topics and subtopics and as topic notes in the context menu when you right click on a topic.

This approach should also incorporate as an option the recently-added facility for MindManager to identify URLs in copied text and add these as links on topics when text is pasted in the map.

The range of options could be as follows:

PASTE AS MAP TOPICS PASTE IN TOPIC NOTES
Unformatted: Plain text topics at the same level Unformatted: Plain text in notes
Unformatted with hyperlinks: Plain text topics at the same level with URLs added as hyperlinks on topics Unformatted with hyperlinks: Plain text with live hyperlinks in the notes
Formatted: formatted text with topic hierarchy reflecting the Word heading styles and with URLs added as hyperlinks on relevant topics Formatted: Formatted text in notes with paragraph hierarchy reflecting the Word heading styles and with URLs added as live hyperlinks in the notes
photo

This is scam and I am very angry.

As I had commented earlier on this thread I received an email notification containing "Christopher B's" comment which I read quickly (I was in the middle of doing something else) and thought was genuine. Consequently I rashly clicked on the "click here" link to continue reading it, only to be taken off to a scam site. I exited quickly and am currently scanning the computer for viruses.

The fake comment was of course designed to attract that sort of response, and is an example of how these sorts of scams are evolving, possibly with the assistance of AI. If they continue to develop in this way they will have a chilling effect on this forum. As well as discouraging users from making inquiries, these scams will give expert users second thoughts about providing solutions.

Speaking as one of the latter I've always been happy to share what little expertise I have in using MindManager with others on an entirely voluntary basis, and have answered dozens if not hundreds of questions on this forum. The one thing I would like in return is an assurance that in doing so I won't be exposing my devices and software to scams, malware and viruses.

photo

It looks like these SCAM posts are coming from only 1 country. This can be blocked fast and easy.

DO IT NOW PLEASE

---