Create project WBS (MM Org chart) by pasting textual WBS?

Russell . shared this question 10 months ago
Answered

Hello all

My end goal is to easily create a visual Work Breakdown Structure(WBS) from a textual version of a WBS I already have. I'd like to use the Org Chart in MM and simply paste my (textual) structure and have it automatically setup the parent/child organization based on the numbering.

For example, I'd like to paste in:
0.0 ACME Project

1.0 Initiation

1.1 Define Project Scope
1.2 Identify Stakeholders

2.0 Planning
2.1 Develop Project Management Plan
2.2 Define Project Activities
2.3 Develop Project Schedule

3.0 Procurement
3.1 Vendor Selection
3.2 Contract Negotiation

..and from that create the parent/child org chart items with appropriate relationships.

Is this possible?

Or..Is there a way to look at a MM Org Chart in text form so I can easily paste into that and then get the visual version after my editing?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Best Answer
photo

As well as reading MS Word formatting, MindManager will also create a hierarchy if the pasted text has double-space indenting. Top level text has no indent, first level starts with 2 spaces, second level with four spaces and so on.

Replies (4)

photo

If the document is in MsWord format - where you have headings etc - you can import it to get a mindmap. Next charge the view into org chart under design ribbon.

You can always use the Outline view for a text form.

photo

As well as reading MS Word formatting, MindManager will also create a hierarchy if the pasted text has double-space indenting. Top level text has no indent, first level starts with 2 spaces, second level with four spaces and so on.

photo

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Nick. By using this spacing, I am able to paste in plain text and MM will organize it visually. This is perfect. Thanks again!

photo

Just to add to Ary's response, you have to apply the relevant Word heading style to each level in the document before importing to establish an appropriate hierarchy of topics in the resulting map.

photo

Thank you for the help and suggested approaches Ary/Alex/Nick. I think Nick's is going to work the best for what I'm trying to do, but I think these suggestions will also help others in the future as they come across this thread.

I appreciate it.

---