Can I import a word document to update an existing mind map without overwriting it?

Maggie B. shared this question 18 months ago
Answered

Replies (1)

photo

It depends on what you mean by "update an existing mind map" and also what version of MindManager you have.

If you are trying to update selected existing topics spread through a map using information in a Word document the short answer is no.

If you want to attach a Word document or portions of a Word document to a topic in an existing mind map the answer depends on the version of MindManager you have. Up until version 19 or 20 this was possible because MindManager installed a Send to MindManager add-in in Word which allowed users to do exactly that. This was a great feature which I used to use extensively, but the Word export facility in MindManager was completely rewritten in later versions. This improved the export process but for reasons I still don't fully understand required the "deprecation" (aka "removal") of the Send to MindManager feature.

Without this facility your options are limited. The only way now to import a Word document is to import the whole document from the MindManager end into a new mind map. If you want to attach part of a Word document to an existing map, the only workaround that I know of that works directly with Word is to copy the required section of the Word document to a new file, import that file to a new mind map, then copy the contents of that map to the relevant topic in an existing map.

If the Word document happens to be a table - or easily convertible into a table - you may be luckier, though it depends on the nature of the data. You have the option of copying the table into an Excel-compatible spreadsheet and then importing it using the Excel Data Mapper. Unlike Word import, this allows users to select a number of options about how the imported Excel data will be formatted. This also includes the ability to attach the imported data directly to a topic in an existing map.

---