Gantt Pro - how to Collapse/expand roll up tasks

marcus r. shared this question 18 months ago
Answered

Apologies if this has been asked before.

i have a massive program plan with multiple streams, projects and tasks. if i trigger gantt pro, it always displays the entire thing in expanded format and i have to go through and collapse the tasks.

is there an easier way to do this?

Replies (2)

photo

Currently there is no way to set the level of detail for the whole Gantt chart or a selected summary. The only way is to go through the summary tasks and manually collapse them. It would be good to add this as a suggestion so that it can be considered.

As a workaround, you could use filtering to get a snapshot of the key points in a project without needing to collapse all the detail. This needs to be set up once, but will be quicker than repeatedly folding the Gantt chart each time you open it.

1. Choose an icon for marking "essential overview" items for the Gantt chart.
  2. Mark the tasks or summaries in your project with this icon, for example all the first level summaries, or the milestones.
  3. In MindManager, enable "Exact match" filtering in File > Options > Filter > Exact Matches. This means that marked topics are shown without their descendants.
  4. Make sure that your Gantt Pro options for this map (or the default options) are configured so that filtering is applied to the Gantt chart.
  5. Select the icon you used in the Map Index, right click and click Quick Filter > Show Topics with this marker.
  6. This will show you just the essential tasks and summaries in the Gantt chart, without needing to collapse lots of tasks.
  7. Filtered tasks still have dependencies and schedules observed. The schedule is not disrupted by filtering.

24b0188d55f253aea0fe9da16983d4b3

30ca35f7ef222f3dd26ae9ed49a8b5f7

photo

thank you, thats a timeconsuming but functional workaround.. i will add it to the suggestions box. something as simple as the button at the bottom right of the mind map screen (collapse map, show levels) replicated to the gantt pro screen would suffice IMHO.

I have setup general tags starting from most detail to highest level (so in reverse level of detail), after that i use powerfilter to hide the tags i do not want to display. now i am playing around with changing the task orders, updating effort and cost etc to see if it updates in the summary..

thank you.

---