Count Subtopics (99+)

Volker B. shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Hello Support-Team,

i have a stupid question: when i collaps subtopics, i get the information under the parent topcs of the amount of subtopics. Because of more than 100 subtopic i get only the information of 99+ - subtopics.

How can i change this, so that i see the real amount of the subtopics (e.g. 105)?

Thanks in advance for your support

Best Answer
photo

Hi Volker,

You can view the actual number of subtopics by right-clicking the count, we do not show the full number due to the space it would take up in some scenarios.

8283dd61ab6a4b38099d7fa7bdb686d6

Replies (3)

photo

Although I have never reached that limit until now, I can see what you would like.

Turn this into an idea to get noticed by the developers.

photo

Hi Volker,

You can view the actual number of subtopics by right-clicking the count, we do not show the full number due to the space it would take up in some scenarios.

8283dd61ab6a4b38099d7fa7bdb686d6

photo

The MAP add-in has an Extended Properties feature which will let you add a topic property showing the count of either all descendants or just the immediate children of the selected topic.

photo

Hi Alex,

many THANKS for your great feedback.

This was very helpful!!!!

In the future i hope, that MindManager will fix this, because it makes live very easier.

photo

Thanks Volker.

Another workaround (which doesn't require an add-in) is to use a formula on the parent topic to count a subtopic topic property or task attribute, provided all the subtopics have this attribute.

If, say, all subtopics have a Progress icon you could create the following formula on the parent topic:

[SubtopicCount]=COUNT(Children.Progress)

Note that it's important that you select "COUNT" rather than "SUM" as the latter will try to calculate overall progress which while useful isn't what you want in this instance.

If only some subtopics (or none) share the same task attribute or topic property, you could add a property just for the purpose of counting. Create a topic property which you could call, say, "Item" and add it to each subtopic, giving it a value of 1. You can then use a formula like this:

[SubtopicCount]=COUNT(Children.[Item])

Of course, I share your view that it would be helpful if the subtopic count could be shown in the map (optionally) up to 999. It would be great also if these subtopic counts could be made available in formulas (and SmartRules) without having to count subtopic topic properties or task attributes.

---