XML processing error when opening .mmp files

kilucas shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

When I attempt to open .mmp files whether from linked map branches or by double-clicking on them in Windopws Explorer, MindManager throws an XML processing error saying ...

0xC00CEE2D, Unspecified error

It used to open them well and allowed me to convert them to .mmap files but now I can't even convert them so as to open them in the new file format.

I'm running MindManager version 21.1.231 64-bit on 64-bit Windows 10 Pro. And the problem arises on a second PC so I'm not sure that the probl;em is my operating environment.

Might anyone know how I get MindManager to open .mmp files again, perhaps? Many thanks for your help.

Replies (1)

photo

The current extension is *.mmap

I believe you could import old *.mmp files in vs 2012, but it may be earlier.

If you have the old version that was capable to open them. Do that and save as *.mmap to use them in current versions.

photo

Ary

Thanks for this and I may indeed have to fall back to that. The recent versions, though, opened .mmp files and offered to convert them and that made it easier to maintain links from branches which used to link to .mmp files but which I'd now want to link to .mmap files. So do we have any idea whether there's something I can do to make the latest versions of MindManager open the old versions? It seems so odd that attempts to access them now throw errors.

Thanks.

Kevin

photo

I think the last version to natively open .mmp files was MindManager 14.

photo

Nick

Thanks for this. I'd been opening .mmp files in state of the art MindManager in the last year but maybe I was just fortunate and shouldn't rely on that for the future. And that suggests that Ary's solution is probably my only way forward. Thanks.

photo

Hello Kevin,

Nick Duffill is correct, the last MindManager Windows version that contained the file converter Macro was version 14. You will need to use MindManager 14 or earlier to convert your files to .mmap to use them in later versions.

Our Download library still contains the link to install 14 and you can convert your maps during the 30-day trial but please note, support for this version has been retired and I cant guarantee the Macro will work for you. We also plan to remove download links for older, non-supported versions in the coming weeks so I suggest you do this soon.

Support (mindmanager.com)

Best regards,

-Marian

photo

Thanks Marian!

photo

Do we know if I can install version 14 alongside version 21 without harming version 21 and its file associations, perhaps? Or will I have to install version 14 on another PC and find a way to move all the .mmp files there, keeping track of where they came from and then moving the .mmap files back to their respective folders on my version 21 perhaps? Thanks

photo

Hi Marian,

Would it be possible for you to post the news about the removal of the older links as an announcement with details about which versions are involved, and the implications for users who still haven’t converted their old .mmp files?

Also, while we’re on the subject of links to previous versions, the link to the release notes for MindManager 2020 does not work.

photo

Yes, you can have multiple versions of MindManager installed alongside each other, and they will work independently. You probably need to re-install MM21 after installing MM14 to refresh the file associations, but these can be refined in the Windows control panel anyway.

photo

As I provide a lot of inhouse training with the versions my customers still have installed, I have most versions still installed on my work- laptop.

The only issue I have is that several Addins do not work in MMvs 21.

Databaselinker, Export as Webpages, Brainstorm and Analytics view.

Note: Brainstorm provides a kind of built in Workshop facilitator. Check it out it is amazing.

Databaselinker allows access to SQL databases.

But I can still demo them in MMvs20. So I can make my students enthousiast about these (hidden) functionality.

And ofcourse I will always show the extra's of later releases ;-)

cb135bd81749e17cfc642fe02b76cb1e

photo

These workarounds are all very helpful - thanks very much for these clarifications of the details!

---