How to identify newly added topic in a published map ?

Jeanie P. shared this question 2 years ago
Discussion Open

In this public test map https://share.mindmanager.com/?mm_link_external=true#publish/77UuAeWnYsbS5F2hCQWTCaSEV6hOOZv-k-yK-ASy , I want users who access the map on internet to easily find what has been added in the last month, or last 3 monts, as the map is being used to keep readers informed of new sites, research, organization etc involved in education perseverance.

I've created some smart rules based on fixed dates entered as "propriétés" (in French) that are systematically added to each item. I've associated them with colored flags.

This allows for filtering (more than 3 months old, between 1 and 3 months, less than a month). If you click on the filter button at the top right of the public map, you can choose the corresponding flag. It works.

But I was hoping that, once you click on the filter, MM would "direct" you to an item with that property, and then, there would be a way to navigate to the next item with that same property, allowing for a quick review of what's new.

Right now, the only way to see all recently published items is to zoom out so that you can find all the ones you're looking for. It works, but is far from ideal.

Any ideas how to make this work in a smoother way? The objective is to allow for regular visitors to quickly find what's new.

Thanks.

The perseverance team at Table Éducation Outaouais in Gatineau, Québec

Replies (1)

photo

I don't know if this can already be done with your design, but it is possible to search a published map.

Search is in the bottom bar on the left hand side.

And if there are more topics that are found you can just click through those.

It is possble to search on dates like 4-5-2021.

photo

Thanks. I like the idea. Do you know if, in the search, you can narrow it to the properties of each entry. So I could search all items tagged with a certain date?

photo

Hi Ary, when I try searching the published map the search function seems to work only on the topic text, and not with properties.

Another option is to fade rather than hide the non-matching topics when filtering the map. This won't reduce the size of the map, but it would make the matching topics stand out more, as all non-matching topics (including parents) are faded. Unfortunately while you can select whether to fade or hide non-matching topics when filtering in a published map, the publishing process seems to set the hide option as the default when the map is first filtered, and I can't find a way to override this.

photo

Yes Alex, Search does work only on the topic text. This is something that can be improved in a future version.

For Jeanie:

As far as my French (only used in vacations ;-) is correct, I see that there is a Date de a'jout on many topics. It is the date the topic was added to the map?

Your solution is clever, but I think a bit complicated....

My suggestion is, not to enter a specific property or tag, but simply use the Insert Date function for those topics.

See Insert, Topic elements, Date and Time.

No need for creating tags, nor smartrules. Just use search.

And yes you can search all items with a certain date if you the Inserted dates in the topic text.

I can imagine this will save you a lot of time and work.

photo

Thanks for getting back so quickly ! Yes, Date d'ajout is a fixed date, and yes it is a bit complicated, but we plan to plubish updates every month or so. Therefore, it is easy. One simply copies the property field from one subject to the other, and then changes the dates in the smart rules.

If I were to use your suggestion, how will a user know what's been added since his last visit (and obviously, the person will not know when he last visited...)? With the Date d'ajout and the smart rules and colors, I signal visually what's been addded in the last month and last three monts (since the upadted date that appears in the central box). When testing with users, they said they liked it.

What I was hoping to offer to users, is a simple way to pass from the first added topic to the next one and so on, without having to see the whole map... Oh, and we will not be using the publish function on your Cloud. We export the file in HTML5 and publish it with its own URL on our website. Will this affect your proposed solution ? Here's an old test currently available : https://tableeducationoutaouais.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Carte_Pers_Scol_Outaouais.html

I'm still quite new at this, so there are a numbers of things I just don't understand yet...

Thanks again, and apologies if my English isn't up to par.

photo

I have not found a problem with HTML5 export on your own Website vs Publish.

If I were to use your suggestion, how will a user know what's been added since his last visit (and obviously, the person will not know when he last visited...)?

The fact that Your users don't know when he/she last visited is the same in your solution as in my suggestion.

I think your desired approach does not work with the current functionality of MindManager.

Another approach could be using a dashboard map with links to recent achanges and additions.

In that way your users simply click in the dashboard map on the dates , they think they have not seen yet/

You could take care that (once per month) you sync the dashboard map.

photo

Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

photo

To Ary: I read too quickly the last post and did not realize you were talking about a Dashboard map. I don't know what that is... Is this another Map, on top of mine ? Do you know how it's called in French, so that I can find some tutorial?

Merci

photo

I can't help you with the French for dashboard map, and in fact there are relatively few references to this feature in the English version of MindManager Help, but you could look for the equivalent of "roll-up" instead. There is also a webinar on how to use this feature available from the MindManager website:

https://www.mindmanager.com/en/resources/using-a-visual-dashboard-to-work-faster-better-connected/?source=website&type=mjblogcamp=gatedwbr

Another option is to publish the map in Icon View, with Flags as the icon type (when setting up an Icon View the map will usually default to Priority). This will show topics in columns based on the flags you have set up; this should make the most recent items much more visible, despite the fact that the published map will open up with all columns showing. It's also easy for end users to filter the map just to show the column with the most recent topics.

photo

A Dashboard is translated in French a Tableau de bord. Like in you car where you have an overview of the most important things you need to know, when driving somewhere.

In MindManager you can have One Tableau de Bord map where you could drill down into submaps for each time you add of change something. That way the overview is always visible.

Alex made an interesting suggestion to use the icon view.

photo

Hi, I guess we had the same idea. In French, at the bottom left, users can click on Affichage, and then by icons / flags, which generates a table with my three date ranges. It works fine. I have inserted that instruction into the part of the map where I explain to users how to navigate the maps. Thanks a lot for your help.

The new version of the map is here, if you're interested. https://tableeducationoutaouais.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Perseverance-scolaire-Outaouais-2021-05-07.html

---