What is the namespace when trying to retrieve attributes using the Mind Manager API

Matt W. shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Hi,

I am new to macros in Mind Manager.

I have created a map with some customer MapMarkers (tags). I have assigned these tags to topics. I would like to programmatically determine what tags are attached to topics within my map using a macro.

I have determined that I need to use the Topics.GetAttributes method to return the attributes that are associated with a Topic. This method requires ByVal pNamespaceURi as String as a parameter to be passed in.

What is the namespace? How do I determine this value?

Thanks - MattW

Best Answer
photo

Hello Matt

The custom attributes of a topic are unrelated to its tags, so you don't need that interface.

Tags in the MindManager API are disguised due to historical naming. Once a class has been named in the COM API, it is difficult to change it without causing compatibility issues. Everything relating to tags is named "Text Labels".

You can find the tags assigned to a specific topic in the Topic.TextLabels collection.

You can also find the Tags defined in the document markers under the Document.MapMarkerGroups collection. There is a map markers group for the mandatory tag group with the type "mmMapMarkerGroupSingleTextLabel" plus any other custom marker groups, which have the type "mmMapMarkerGroupTextLabel".

Despite what Ary says, being able to do stuff with macros is very useful :) MindManager is a powerful visual modelling tool that can be applied to a wide range of issues with only a little bit of coding.

Replies (3)

photo

I have never felt the need to create a macro myself, but that maybe just me.....

If you want to know what tags are attached to topics within a map, go to The Marker Index Task pane and you get that info.

photo

Hello Matt

The custom attributes of a topic are unrelated to its tags, so you don't need that interface.

Tags in the MindManager API are disguised due to historical naming. Once a class has been named in the COM API, it is difficult to change it without causing compatibility issues. Everything relating to tags is named "Text Labels".

You can find the tags assigned to a specific topic in the Topic.TextLabels collection.

You can also find the Tags defined in the document markers under the Document.MapMarkerGroups collection. There is a map markers group for the mandatory tag group with the type "mmMapMarkerGroupSingleTextLabel" plus any other custom marker groups, which have the type "mmMapMarkerGroupTextLabel".

Despite what Ary says, being able to do stuff with macros is very useful :) MindManager is a powerful visual modelling tool that can be applied to a wide range of issues with only a little bit of coding.

photo

Thanks Nick - that was very helpful! I'm unblocked and can now continue with what I was trying to achieve.

BTW, I agree - macros are very useful.

Thanks - Matt

---