MM for Windows keeps 'freezing' for a short time, the unfreezes?

Edward K. shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

I have recently installed MM 21 for Windows. It quite often goes into 'program unresponsive' mode for anything between a couple of seconds to up to 20 seconds. Very disconcerting - any ideas what the issue may be?

I am not do anything particularly unusual, mainly creating maps of lecture notes with embedded powerpoints but it is an inconvenience & of course I am worried that the whole thing may crash and lose work ... I am running on Windows 10 with latest updates on a decent spec laptop - no other software shows same issues ...

Replies (2)

photo

These kind of issues, best to go to MindManager support via the website.

And please check if you are on 32/64 bit version of Windows 10, MindManager and your Office software.

You may try do do a repair of the software.

photo

Thanks Ary - I am using the 64-bit version and all software is up to date. I am saving everything to OneDrive and although broadband speed is good, it may be introducing a delay... I cannot believe that my setup is unusual though?

photo

Hello Edward,

Thank you for your feedback. MindManager has an Auto Recovery feature that is set to 5 minutes by default. This interval can be changed in MindManager by going to File>Options>Open & Save.

If your map has several images and attachments such as the embedded PowerPoint files, the MindManager document will have a bigger file size and auto recovery takes longer to save. Linking to files instead of attaching them should help here.

Can you tell me how large your MindManager document is currently and where is it stored (i.e. locally , network drive , or to cloud Places)?

Best regards,

-Marian

photo

Thanks Marian - they are mostly quite small files , 1Mb although there is one at 367Mb. I save all files on OneDrive and I tend to have a number of maps open at the same time. I do get the 'Not Responding' message quite often ... I will try to work with just a single file open (although in some ways that becomes a real limitation for me). I am reluctant to change the auto save feature as if it odes crash then I will lose work...

Any other suggestions welcome as I would be surprised if I am doing anything particularly unusual?

Many thanks for your help

I am reluctan

photo

Hi Edward,

Does MindManager still become unresponsive when the 367MB map is not open? It is fine to have multiple maps open but large files do tend to slow down the application when saving or when auto-recovery kicks in.

A couple of suggestions are:

• Link to files instead of attaching them in the map. This greatly reduces file size.
  • If the map contains several images, you can reduce the file size of the map by going to File>Info and click 'Compress All Images for Web'.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

-Marian

---