Is there a way to set MindManager to automatically use a different colour for each branch?

Simon C. shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Hi,

Is there a way to set MindManager to automatically use a different colour for each branch?

e.g. When you insert the first branch it's one colour, then when you insert the second branch it's a second colour, then when you insert the third branch it's a third colour

Or do you have to manually set each branch to a different colour?

(I normally use the 'Radial Map' option, and by default all the 'Main topic' branches are blue, and the 'Subtopics' are green.) I want the whole of branch one to be one colour e.g. red, the whole of branch two to be another colour e.g. green, the whole of branch three to be another colour e.g. yellow, the way it's normally shown on example hand-drawn mind maps.

Thanks,

Simon

Best Answer
photo

Hi Simon,

I'm attaching the following template that automatically colors the line color and font color for 8 different branches via SmartRules (requires version 20 or greater).

c2abb0ea9e6dfa453260fdfcec7083e9

You can add more branches and/or adjust the colors in the SmartRules dialog.

ca019819d32739c329041ab76ad049aa

b399ed1ef4d49ba70cb07ad5282d6e0a

Hope that helps!

Replies (7)

photo

Well there used to be an addin from a Danish MindManager Value Added Redeller called Necsus.

I don't know if they are still in the business, nor have tested if their free addin works with MMvs 21, but why not give it a try and inform us about the results?

http://necsus.com/mindmanager-add-ins/paintmap/

Ofcourse you will consider using specific colours for specific interestgroups, but this may help

photo

Thanks for your reply.

I ran the install for myThings 2.1.13 for MindManager 16 (which contains PaintMap) from the necsus website, but I don't think it worked. There is a link to this YouTube video from 2014 on necsus:

Short introduction to necsus PaintMap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wXpl-kbMxM

That video shows an item on the Design Ribbon with items such as 'Regenbogen', but I don't see those item in MindManager (I have MM18).

photo

The mythings was an addin with a price.

The Paintmap was free, so that one could have worked At least in vs 14?

We are now at vs 21 so.....

Maybe turn this one into an idea with a link to the youtube movie. Developers may wish to include it. in future releases.

You have to create a new idea post to get is noticed.

photo

The add-ins from necsus are not supported anymore ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

I know the developer and he will not update it

photo

hi Simon, I like your idea of creating colorful mindmaps like the original handwritten ones.

MindManager works with a template and in the template the fill color can be set for a topic level, but you can't change this color for each branch. You've to color it in afterwards.

Best, Andreas

photo

Hi Simon,

I'm attaching the following template that automatically colors the line color and font color for 8 different branches via SmartRules (requires version 20 or greater).

c2abb0ea9e6dfa453260fdfcec7083e9

You can add more branches and/or adjust the colors in the SmartRules dialog.

ca019819d32739c329041ab76ad049aa

b399ed1ef4d49ba70cb07ad5282d6e0a

Hope that helps!

photo

Great solution ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ thank you Sia - Chapeau ๐ŸŽฉ

photo

Brilliant Super. I never thought of that.

Thanks a lot Sia.

photo

Dear Sia,

Could you provide the instructions to install these template(s) to my MMvs 21?

Where do I place the download(s)?

What are the next steps?

Thank you in advance

photo

Hi Ary,

Go to File / New

Click Add Template then find and select the template wherever you saved it on your computer

2c9b851d1c8f3af82cc7aa01f7a49e07

The template is added under My Templates (below blank templates)

80de3c332eb7521fe719afdb0243cbfd

Just double click to start a new map using this template.

photo

Thank you, That did the trick ;-)

photo

Thanks Sia, that looks great.

Sorry it has taken me a while to reply - I had MM18 and had to upgrade to MM21 to use your template solution.

photo

This is a great approach but it would be great to have a built-in "rainbow" option like the one in iThoughts. This allows for parent topics to be moved around or added in later while keeping a consistent colour spectrum, so the colour of the topic changes depending on its location.

Added to this should be the capacity to either a) keep the same colour throughout all subtopics of the branch, b) keep the colour but fade it gradually down the branch or c) apply either a) or b), but only to a user-specified subtopic level.

photo

Can anyone advise me on converting my existing mind maps to coloured versions?

Would the best way be to use the Macro\WinWrap language or is it not appropriate for a task like this? Are there some Macro\WinWrap examples somewhere of making changes to the appearance of a mind map?

Thanks

photo

MindManuals.com (now defunct) had a "Rainbow" tool for MindManager maps 20 years ago :) This would not be too difficult to do with a macro.

Dim m_Topic as Topic

For Each m_Topic in ActiveDocument.Range(mmRangeAllTopics)

m_Topic.TextColor.SetARGB(8-digit hex value)

Next

The hardest part will be in generating a set of reasonable but varied and usable colour values, and ensuring contrast with the fill colour.

---