Multiple Microsoft Edge Webview2 processes

JamesAK shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Evening guys

MindManager seems to be starting multiple WebView2 processes that consume CPU whilst seemingly doing nothing.

The number of processes started seems to tally with the number of Snaps that are web links. So long as MindManager is opened with the Snap closed there are zero WebView2 processes registered.

As soon as the Snap queue is opened, then however many web links there are in the queue then the same number of WebView2 processes are instantiated.

Closing the queue does not close the WebView2 processes.

If the Snap queue is already opened and on view when MindManager is started then the number of web links in that match the number of WebView2 processes that start.

Thoughts?

Regards

James.

Best Answer
photo

Hello again James,

Our QA Team investigated and determined the number of running Edge WebView2 processes are not related to the Snap Queue. Simply opening the MindManager embedded browser will also start several WebView2 processes.

The Microsoft Edge browser also uses several processes , even when opening a single web page and I suspect this behavior is carried over to the WebView2 control. See Microsoft explains why one Edge web page results in so many Windows processes - MSPoweruser

We will look into options to consume less system resources where possible. Thanks again for raising this.

Best regards,

-Marian

Replies (3)

photo

Hello James,

Thanks for the feedback. I have sent this over to our QA Team to review.

Best regards,

-Marian

photo

Hello again James,

Our QA Team investigated and determined the number of running Edge WebView2 processes are not related to the Snap Queue. Simply opening the MindManager embedded browser will also start several WebView2 processes.

The Microsoft Edge browser also uses several processes , even when opening a single web page and I suspect this behavior is carried over to the WebView2 control. See Microsoft explains why one Edge web page results in so many Windows processes - MSPoweruser

We will look into options to consume less system resources where possible. Thanks again for raising this.

Best regards,

-Marian

photo

H'lo Marian

The QA Team perhaps should have investigated further. I can see that they are correct that when the MindManager embedded browser is started 7 WebView2 processes are started.

However, the same also occurs when the Snap queue is opened even with the browser add-in disabled. I can live without the embedded browser if it's going to save processing power but I need Snap, so can the team work out why that is happening.

Thank you

James.

---