How can I paste to multiple topics at once?

James shared this question 3 years ago
Answered

Apologies for such a basic question - Is there a way to paste topics to multiple other topics at the same time?

I've tried a number of obvious things (ctrl+v; ctrl+shift+v; ctrl+alt+v; ctrl+shift+alt+v) and whilst some of them do some potentially helpful things, none of them do what I want them to do

My current approach is to select each destination topic manually, which extremely time consuming if you have several hundred topics to paste to, even if you are ctrl+dragging topics to create copies.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer
photo

Hi James,

You can do this with map parts.

Create a map part with the content you want to paste to all the topics.

Select the topics you want to paste to and then choose "Insert as new Topic"

68c673c591bacc4e9e34a09c3488a34a

This will add the same map part to all of the topics you had selected.

51ee499667f73e24b8b83c3c367b8593

Hope that helps!

Replies (2)

photo

I donot believe this is possible.

However.....I may well be completely wrong, since I donot understand why you want to do this, but...

If you have to add a topic at a later moment in time to so many topics, you maybe could have improved your initial design?

Also DO you really have a map with hundreds of topics??

Maybe you can solve this by creating map-parts?

photo

Thanks for your prompt response Ary.

Re: your question on my design approach and improving my initial design - you're absolutely right, however the beauty of MindManager is that you can adapt your design as your thinking evolves and Mind Manager can generally support everything I want to do.

Given your various questions and suggestions, here's my specific use case: I have 20 departments with a total of 127 uniquely named people in total. I need to paste a map part (containing a drill down for 2021 of each month, week, specific date) to each person. I can highlight all 127 people in one go but when I paste I don't have the option to paste to all, hence my question.

Re: your question having a map with hundreds of topics - yes I do. many - as per the example above. If that's a real bad practice in MindManager, it would be great to know as I've been doing it for years!

Re: use of map parts - As above, my challenge is the pasting part.

photo

Thanks for clarifying.

One suggestion in design could be:

Create a map with just the 20 departments topics and per dept topic, do a right click send to new map action.

That way you create a dashboard with direct access to the dept maps.

Another suggestion:

Consider creating a template that has exact that design of the mappart.

Now if you have created your dept submaps (see above) you could apply the 2021 template for them.

If you need to have info at the toplevel, consider roll-ups

Still no solution for your pasting, but this may be a lot faster and with less energy and less faultchances.

photo

Thanks Ary, I'll take a look at that.

I'll also post the product suggestion for "paste to selected topics"!

photo

Hi James,

You can do this with map parts.

Create a map part with the content you want to paste to all the topics.

Select the topics you want to paste to and then choose "Insert as new Topic"

68c673c591bacc4e9e34a09c3488a34a

This will add the same map part to all of the topics you had selected.

51ee499667f73e24b8b83c3c367b8593

Hope that helps!

photo

Yes it does!!!

This approach, combined with the additional step of highlighting all the "My Map Part" parents to retain only the subtopics I really want (using ctrl+shift+delete) gives me what I need - thank you very much!

I still think the ability to do this using copy > paste to multiple selected, especially via a shortcut combo would be perfect (feel free to upvote here people: https://community.mindmanager.com/topic/208-paste-to-multiple-topics !!!

Thanks again,

James

photo

Thanks for the reply!

---