How can one configure MM2020 to open a file in built in brower?

eamonnedwardo shared this question 10 months ago
Answered

Hi folks,

When I import Folder/Files via File Explorer Map Part, many times I'd like to open the files in the inbuilt browser.

There probably some registry hack I'm missing to allow them to open there.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an answer.

Many thanks

/Eamonn

Best Answer
photo

Hello,

MindManager 2020 uses the Microsoft Internet Explorer WebView control and generally only allows you to preview files that can be read in Internet Explorer.

If file types such as .md are not supported in Internet Explorer, they will open in their native applications.

Later versions of MindManager utilize the Microsoft Edge WebView2 control, but Microsoft supported previewing less file types in Edge than in IE and most file types will open in their native applications.

Best regards,

-Marian

Replies (2)

photo

You can do that via Options Addins and select Browser.
Once you have it, you can always switch to outside mindmanager browser with the button top right in the builtin browserwindow8ae30c7b0461197547c00f96a7036d3d

photo

Hi Ary,

Thanks for the quick reply, but it's not quite what I was getting at.

I have ingested a directory with code - the .txt; .tf; .tfvar all open within the MM Browser as text files.
Others such as .md (markdown -> text) open in their own app (SublimeText) .py (Python -> text) open in Pycharm

I'm looking for way in which to override this default and simply view in MMBrowser

Thanks
/Eamonn

a328704cc82a467cac682ae3e0d221cd

photo

I don't know what those extensions are.

Never encountered them in my professional ICT life.

What are they and why would someone use the exotic stuff?

photo

Hello,

MindManager 2020 uses the Microsoft Internet Explorer WebView control and generally only allows you to preview files that can be read in Internet Explorer.

If file types such as .md are not supported in Internet Explorer, they will open in their native applications.

Later versions of MindManager utilize the Microsoft Edge WebView2 control, but Microsoft supported previewing less file types in Edge than in IE and most file types will open in their native applications.

Best regards,

-Marian

photo

Aha, I see - potentially hacking the registry keys for Internet Explorer might yield results. Thanks for the pointers.

All files are text - no reason they shouldn't open
# file exts:

.tf - are Terraform files (a cloud infrastructure provisioning markup language - yaml like)

.tfvars - are variables for above

.py - conventionally what Python source code is named

.md - simple markdown

:-) /Eamonn

photo

If these really are just text files then in theory all you should have to do is change the file extension to .txt to open them in the MM browser.

However, I suspect this isn't strictly true, as the existence of apps to convert .md and .py files to .txt (either individually or in batches) demonstrates. Rather than hacking the registry keys you could simply run the .md and .py files through one of these.

---