Syncing maps across devices

Jakub W. shared this question 11 months ago
Answered

Hello,

How do I sync my local maps to cloud so that I can see my maps in real time across several desktop devices / and under my Online mindmanager account?

I'm on Windows.

Replies (2)

photo

When you are on Windows and use Mindmanager you can save your map to your cloud storage.

You can then open it from your online mindmanager software and even from another desktop. But not from 2 at the same time;-)

photo

The way I do it is to save all files (not just MindManager ones) into subfolders in a default Dropbox folder saved on my computer which is synced to my Dropbox cloud account. The cloud folder is then synced to my laptop where it is also the default local folder.

The main advantage of this approach is that you don't need to consciously save anything directly into the cloud - instead you save everything locally; in my case, the local Dropbox folder in each computer is synced to and is identical to the Dropbox account in the cloud. This also means that you can access stuff locally even if you are not connected to the Internet, and it also automatically provides a form of two-or three-way backup - both in the cloud and to however many computers you sync with the cloud account.

The main disadvantage is that you need a reasonable amount of cloud storage and of course your devices also need to have enough capacity. The latter isn't usually a problem with computers, but it can be with mobile devices with which you might be using the web version. For the latter I just access files on and save to the Dropbox account directly, as you will only be using the web version when you have Internet access anyway.

There are a couple of other minor issues. First, if you don't use one of your computers as often as the other you will need to remember to sync it from time to time to update the local folder - and this may need take a little while. Also, if you have any sensitive files that you might not want to sync with other devices you will need to store these locally in a separate folder that isn't synced to the cloud account. All in all however, this approach works well for me.

---