Privide Keyboard Shortcut for Removing Boundaries

arnold.spaeing shared this idea 12 months ago
Voting Open

While often using Ctrl + Shift + B for setting a boundary, it's always an annoying break in the flow to navigate the "Remove Boundary" button: Unfortunately, it needs

1. clicking the button for the the Boundary menu,

2. carefully moving the cursor within the Boundary menu to the Delete Boundary command,

3. finally, clicking the Delete Boundary command.

Alternatively, provide a separate"Delete Boundary" button, which users may display in the customized Quick Access Toolbar.

Replies (2)

photo

One option would be to turn the Ctrl+Shift+B shortcut into a toggle, so if you create a boundary you could then click anywhere within that boundary and apply the same shortcut to remove it.

photo

Thanks, Alex! Yes, that would be even more preferable that a new keyboard shortcut.

photo

I've just realised there could be a problem with my suggestion of a toggle, which occurs when you want to use the toggle to insert a boundary around a sub-group of topics which are already within a larger boundary. My suggestion to deal with that would be to set the toggle up so that you add a boundary by clicking on the parent topic and then applying the toggle, and to remove it you click anywhere inside the boundary except on a topic then apply the toggle to remove it.

If you want to remove nested boundaries the assumption would be that if you click on the innermost boundary and apply the toggle, that boundary would be removed. However, if you wanted to remove the outer boundary you would click somewhere within that boundary but outside the inner boundary and then apply the toggle.

I hope that makes sense!

photo

Hi Alex, actually, I don't see the problem: There shouldn't be much difference to the current situation where you have to properly select exactly one topic by clicking either the topic itself or the border of a boundary; you cannot select the free space within a boundary - I am not able to do so - or do I miss something?

photo

Well, part of my proposed improvement is to allow users to remove a boundary by clicking anywhere within it and using the shortcut. There could therefore be a problem when you have two (or more) overlapping boundaries and you click on the area where they do overlap and apply the shortcut - which boundary is removed?

photo

Hi Arnold,

use the function "Select Special" in the Advanced ribbon.

This will find boundaries and more and you can delete all with on click.

21cf4624e5562612f589d8fc359eec67

Regards, Andreas

photo

Thanks for posting, Andreas, Unfortunately, but "Select Special" does not my use case of editing a single boundary.

---