show note text

adventure shared this question 23 months ago
Answered

Hi,

I am a student who uses MindManager to take notes from my readings. I usually put the page numbers as my first few characters of my notes. I there a way to tell MindManager to display Note text on the map?

thanks

Best Answer
photo

Yes there is, but unfortunately it appears your only choices on this are to show all the note, or nothing.

If you have MM 21 or 22 you can go to Topic Info (under the Detail tab on the View ribbon). Click on this, and in the Topic Information Display Settings select the Modern Topic info display style. Then under Show/Hide specific information tick the Notes and Notes Preview boxes.

Unfortunately "Preview" does not mean, as I would have expected, show the first line or the first paragraph only. It means the entire note's text will appear in small print under the topic. This probably isn't what you want as all the notes will be visible in full, but it does mean that you don't have to open the notes to read them quickly or even copy them. It would be good if there were two options, one to show the notes in full, the other to show the first paragraph only.

Replies (2)

photo

Yes there is, but unfortunately it appears your only choices on this are to show all the note, or nothing.

If you have MM 21 or 22 you can go to Topic Info (under the Detail tab on the View ribbon). Click on this, and in the Topic Information Display Settings select the Modern Topic info display style. Then under Show/Hide specific information tick the Notes and Notes Preview boxes.

Unfortunately "Preview" does not mean, as I would have expected, show the first line or the first paragraph only. It means the entire note's text will appear in small print under the topic. This probably isn't what you want as all the notes will be visible in full, but it does mean that you don't have to open the notes to read them quickly or even copy them. It would be good if there were two options, one to show the notes in full, the other to show the first paragraph only.

photo

I stand corrected - on further testing I found that Notes Preview shows only the first 100 words or so of the note under the topic. Still, many would argue that this is still a rather long "preview".

photo

Thank you for your help. 100 words is perfect for my application.

photo

Is it helpful to enter and display the page number and the chapter as a property?

Filtering would then be possible.

photo

Yes, this would be useful. The simplest approach would be to enter page and chapter numbers as separate properties, though it depends on how the document is numbered. If page numbering restarts at the beginning of each chapter you could use a format like 3.02 for chapter 3, page 2 (assuming there are less than 100 pages in each chapter).

photo

Thanks René and Alex,

Yes, properties are another way to do this, I tend to rely on the keyboard as much as possible. so pressing ctrl-t to get to the notes is efficient for me.

Properties would work, if each new topic I created had the page property automatically when it gets created and I could easy switch from entering the the topic text, to entering the page number, with a simple key stroke. I don't know how to do this.

---