Problem with JPEG Export

MKY shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Hello,

When I want to export the map as JPG, it allows a maximum resolution of 10,000 pixels. Screenshot attached. In a detailed map study, this resolution is not sufficient. When comprehensive works are transferred as JPG, the texts cannot be read. For this reason, if the export resolution can be increased up to 20,000 pixels, a healthier JPG file will be created. I would be grateful if an update could be made on this subject in the future. Thanks.

With all respect.

Support case ID #3256332

Best Answer
photo

The attached draft macro will export a PNG image of a map up to about 27,000 pixels, above which other problems seem to occur.

To use it:

1. Save the macro file to disk.
  2. Close all other maps in case the macro hits an unrecoverable error.
  3. Open the (saved) map that you want to export.
  4. Open the Macro Editor in Advanced > Macros.
  5. In the Macro Editor, click File > Open and browse to the saved macro file to open it.
  6. Press the green "Start/Resume" arrow button or click Macro > Run
  7. Enter the maximum pixel width and height and click OK. Maximum values are 27000.
  8. It can take 20 seconds or more for very large files. I think the processing time goes up with the square of the file dimensions.
  9. It exports a PNG image to the same folder as the map, with the same root name and the map version, and .png extension.

Large graphics files can exceed 30 MB so deploying them might be challenging.

Replies (2)

photo

You could try experimenting with "printing" the image as a high-resolution JPEG file via a virtual image printer, like Image Printer Pro. This gives me slightly better text than the maximum resolution you get by exporting to a JPEG, but it didn't do as good a job at rendering topic fill colours. However, I get the impression from your example that the map you are trying to print is fairly large and the topics have small print, which is going to be a difficult combination to turn into a readable image. Edit: one alternative would be to publish the map and share the URL.

Also, if you want to propose a change like this to be incorporated in a future version it might be better to post it as an idea rather than a question so that people can vote on it.

photo

Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I also think that if we can overcome this problem without using a third party software, it will be more efficient in terms of the quality of the application and its working files. I will start a topic as an idea on your recommendation.

photo

PNG files may give better results than JPG, as JPG is optimised for photographs and can introduce quantization artefacts.

The limit of 10,000 pixels applies to the user interface and is not present internally in the API. If you are using MindManager for Windows, a macro can export bigger images. I successfully exported a legible 20,000 pixel image with a short macro.

photo

I tried PNG, BMP, JPG all. However, there was no difference in image quality. The text looks blurry. I haven't tried the macro. Frankly I don't know how to do it.

photo

I will post an example when I get a chance.

photo

The attached draft macro will export a PNG image of a map up to about 27,000 pixels, above which other problems seem to occur.

To use it:

1. Save the macro file to disk.
  2. Close all other maps in case the macro hits an unrecoverable error.
  3. Open the (saved) map that you want to export.
  4. Open the Macro Editor in Advanced > Macros.
  5. In the Macro Editor, click File > Open and browse to the saved macro file to open it.
  6. Press the green "Start/Resume" arrow button or click Macro > Run
  7. Enter the maximum pixel width and height and click OK. Maximum values are 27000.
  8. It can take 20 seconds or more for very large files. I think the processing time goes up with the square of the file dimensions.
  9. It exports a PNG image to the same folder as the map, with the same root name and the map version, and .png extension.

Large graphics files can exceed 30 MB so deploying them might be challenging.

photo

I tried the macro file your prepared. The result is excellent. It created a high resolution and high quality PNG file. The texts in the PNG file is very clearly displayed. Thank you very much for your effort and your time.

Best regards

photo

I am glad to hear it works :)

To make it a bit easier to use, you can add it to a menu (e.g. the Export menu) in the Advanced > Macros > Organize Macros command.

Best regards

Nick

photo

I added it as a shortcut to the output section. It was perfect. Thanks.

photo

YTB, that must be an impressive map! I just credited you 30 points to upgrade you to Contributor on this forum, congrats!

photo

Thank you. It was a really comprehensive and detailed map study.

---