File attachment best practices

Gregory K. shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

I created a Map with many .mp4 videos attached to various topics. It now seems that every time I save the Map or attempt to attach yet another .mp4 file to it, the program takes a long time to free up. Is there a best practice for attaching files to topics that I'm not aware of? After all, the .mp4 videos I'm attaching to my MindManager Map may need to be referred to as I continue to learn from the instructor of the program I'm attending.

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Gregory, is it possible to link to the videos rather than attaching them? Attaching rather than linking files, especially video files, increases the size of the mind map file.

photo

Thank you for replying Alex. Would you agree that linking to the videos creates the risk of losing the proper topic to video connection? In other words, if I save the .mp4 to my network and later move the file to another part of my network, the link would break and I'd be at risk of not knowing which topic goes with which video. Since the instructor is dissecting MS Excel into many separate topics and presenting videos for each topic, there will be many links or attachments for that matter.

photo

Hi Gregory, a lot depends on whether you have to download the video files in the first place. If they are available online you could simply just link to their URLs - it wouldn't matter then whether and where you moved the MindManager file.

If however you have to download the files because of the nature of the course or because you can't always access them online you could put them in the same folder as the MindManager file and then link to them. Make sure that the link path is stored as Relative under Advanced in the Add/Edit Link dialogue box; you should then be able to move the whole folder if you need to do so and the links should remain intact.

To confirm this is working, save a dummy MindManager file in a folder, then download a couple of example video files to the same folder and link to them. Move the folder around the network and check that the links are still working.

photo

Hi Gregory,

I'd us links instead of attachments, because of the file size.

If you need to move your map including all your linked videos to a different folder us "Pack and Go".

You find it in the backstage menu in Export.

"Pack and Go" will copy all your linked files in a ZIP-Folder 😀

Regards,

Andreas

photo

Alex & Andreas - thank you VERY much for responding to my call for help. I'm grateful. I now plan to change the attachments within my map to links. Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Greg

photo

Hey Gregory - the experts are correct. This is due to an increasing file size. Links is a better option.

---