Import Excel properties with "hidden" status - possible macro?

fnorrmann shared this question 2 years ago
Discussion Open

I need for certain properties to be checked as "hidden" when I import an Excel file. This does not seem to be possible with the import process and therefore it forces us to manually select all the properties in the imported map and mark them as "hidden". This is a manual/tedious task that could be avoided if we could somehow import the "hidden" flag in the Excel source file. Is this at all possible? If not, as a workaround, is there a way to use a macro or rule to do this after the import?

Best Answer
photo

Hello

I added two routines to the earlier macro: one that asserts the Basic / Hidden status for each property, and one that looks for a suffix on the property name. There is no harm in refreshing this status each time the macro runs. Note that the definition of which property names get hidden is embedded in the code, which is the "quick and dirty" approach. I hope this makes sense and you can modify it to your requirements.

Replies (1)

photo

I don't think there is any configuration in the import wizard to define a property as Hidden on import, but this would be a good improvement. SmartRules are not able to change the basic/hidden status of a property.

Creating a custom import from Excel would be a non-trivial project.

But there might be a workaround if:

• You use the same property names for the same thing across topics
  • You are free to modify property names - that is, they are not predefined by another system or already embedded in complex formulas, and
  • You can tolerate some special mark-up on hidden property names, such as starting or ending them with an underscore.

If the above is doable then a short macro could walk through the topics, set properties that end with an underscore character to Hidden, and set the others to not Basic (not Hidden).

photo

Hi Nick, indeed, these things I can tolerate and I would plan to use a macro to do this. If you have an example of a ready made macro that I could use as a base to modify that would be great. I hope MindManager can add this to their roadmap.

I guess I can use the "Display hidden properties" macro a as base?

Cheers,

photo

Hello

I added two routines to the earlier macro: one that asserts the Basic / Hidden status for each property, and one that looks for a suffix on the property name. There is no harm in refreshing this status each time the macro runs. Note that the definition of which property names get hidden is embedded in the code, which is the "quick and dirty" approach. I hope this makes sense and you can modify it to your requirements.

photo

Simple and excellent solution! thank you!

---