Has anyone experienced task roll up not working correctly - using version 21.1.231?

Geddes shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Example attached

Replies (1)

photo

What is it that is not working?

photo

Thank you for your response Nick.

My apologies, I thought the example attached would demonstrate the issue.

Three tasks - Task 1, Task 2 and Task 3 - have been rolled up to the "Test 1" Task level.

Setting Task 1 (a child) to 100% complete has set the "Test 1" task (parent) to 100% as well.

Task 2 and Task 3, at the Child level, are incomplete.

My understanding is the "Test 1" task should not be set to 100% at this stage. This should only occur when all the Child Level Tasks are all complete.

Do you agree or have I misinterpreted how the Parent level Task should operate?

Kind Regards

photo

I think this is by design. Roll-up can be used to calculate the span of topics with date information only which are not necessarily tasks (e.g. the fixed date of an event). So with no progress icon on the topic, MindManager excludes it from the progress calculation altogether rather than assuming 0% complete. If task 2 and 3 are incomplete tasks, assigning a 0% progress icon to them will correctly calculate rolled-up progress.

photo

Thank you. That certainly worked.

The logic of having to set a progression % to zero in order to facilitate the "roll up" functionality suggests all tasks should default to 0% when created. No doubt there is a reason why this is not the case.

Can you point me in the direction where such information is documented so I can research this type of event in the future?

photo

I can't see this behaviour detailed in the MindManager documentation. The explanation of roll-up calculation only clarifies the handling of dates and filtering. However, it does not seem unreasonable that a topic with dates on it is not automatically considered a task with completion status. There are other occasions where you might want to have dates on a topic without turning it into a managed task.

If you use the "Add Task Info" button in the Tasks tab instead of adding just dates to a topic, then the 0% complete marker is included in the task info written to a topic, and new tasks will be correctly calculated in the rollup.

---