Co-editing and converting topics to timelines

Bob M. shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

1. With the co-editing feature, only person can be editing the file at once right?

2. If I have an existing mindmap with 5 topics and I want to convert 1 of the topics to a Kanban boad [so we can track discussions, etc], is there a way to do that or does the topic have to start as Kanban file?

Thanks, Bob & Alex

Replies (4)

photo

Hello Bob

The Kanban board is just another way to view a regular map. Specifically, the Kanban board is a view of topics with tags in the Kanban tag group, organised in columns. You can choose which topics appear in the board by applying tags from the Kanban group to them.

You can also retrospectively apply a Kanban board to any map. If it is not already present, you can add a Kanban tag group, then display topics by that group in the column-based Tag View. There is no requirement to start a map from the Kanban template.

photo

Nick,

Please clarify. I can create a master mindmap and then tag certain nodes which then adds to a Kanban board?

Right now,

1. I'm creating the mindmap in MJ

2. I'm exporting certain items to PDF

3. The VA then keys the items from the PDF into Trello.

VERY VERY kludgy.

photo

Hello Bob

If you are using MindManager to capture and document tasks for Trello, then I am not aware of a direct export connection between MindManager and Trello, but other users might know of one. It should be possible to create a connection using Zapier.

If your task management regime allows you to use MindManager to capture, organise and share tasks, then you can use a Kanban board within MindManager. To do this, you add tags to task topics. By default most maps will already have a Kanban tag group, but if not you can add one from the Map Index task pane:

505f4ae437f8a7573850f4492aa99db6

You can then apply tags from this group to task topics, and view them in the Tag View at View > Tag View. Selecting the Kanban group will list task topics in their Kanban tag column:

6d08f70f0f964d59998bbd518653ccaa

If the default Kanban tags are not what you need for your workflow, you can rename, delete or add new tags in the Map Index.

You can share a map with an embedded Kanban view using the Publish feature. In the map below, click the "View" menu at the bottom of the screen, select Tag view and choose Kanban.

https://share.mindmanager.com/#publish/Z6qV_AUcHT1G48ttUFEvdAqcO01rhzFcAGWx3wMt

photo

If I have a team of 3 virtual assistants [as an example], does this mean I need to buy 3 more seats so they can view the Kanban boards that I'm creating inside of MJ?

photo

If it would work for your virtual assistants to have read-only access to maps published by one person, then no licenses are needed as anyone can view a published map. I am not certain about the licensing models for other scenarios but Ary has provided some information.

photo

My bad for not phrasing it properly. The assistants are responsible for doing the activities so they would need to be able to update the Kanban boards as well. Sounds like I need to stick with my kludgy approach with using Trello to avoid the additional 3 licenses to MJ. :(

photo

Hopefully there will be a webinar on deployment and licensing models now that MM22 is out.

photo

RE your Coediting question 1)

One person starts a co-editing session from the desktop via a save to a cloud service.

That person invites others. And when they login (free login) they all can work together with the initiating person, on the same map at the same time.

photo

Ary,

How long can the co-editing session last for? Many of my staff are 12 hours ahead of me so it's not practical for us to be on the session at the same time. Can I open up access, notify them they can edit then have them tell me they're done so I can then close the co-editing session? I'm looking for something like a Google Doc where multiple can asynchronously make edits on the same doc.

photo

I have never tried this for a longer period. The max was about 2, 5 hours. Why don't you try how long it works and inform us about the results of your test?

photo

There is a Zapier connection to Trello and viceversa to MindManager. I have used that in the past, but since MindManager has Kanban inside I don't want to switch tools if not necessary.

Also VA's have a price per hour as well. Compare that to the small amount of a MindManager subscription....

Bear in mind you can switch the VA's with access via your License Server portal.

photo

Silly question...does a person who want to participate in co-editing ONLY need to install MindJet 21 on their own computer?

photo

No, as far as I know they can use MindManager for Web in a browser without installing any software. They will need a valid subscription with which to log in.

---