Command and shortcut for duplicating a branch as a next sibling

Nick D. shared this idea 2 years ago
Voting Open

Something I frequently do when editing maps is copy a branch and paste it back as a next sibling, so that a variation of an existing branch can be quickly created.

It would be very handy to have a command and related shortcut that did this in one step.

Replies (1)

photo

This is a great idea. Having to reselect the parent topic each time you want to do this is irritating, especially if you want to paste the selected branch as multiple siblings. Even though I've been using MindManager for years I still find myself hitting Enter again, which of course ends up pasting the copied branch as a sub-branch of the first pasted copy rather than a sibling.

photo

Agreed. I gave up trying to remember to do this and now just copy, paste back to the source topic then drag it to the correct parent.

You can also use Ctrl+Drag to make a copy of a branch but you have to select twice, so it is equivalent to the above,

photo

When you paste a branch, the cursor moves to highlight the highest-level topic in the just-pasted branch. Given this is the case, would it be possible to create a macro that pasted the copied branch or topic, then simply moved the cursor one level back up to the parent of the just pasted topic/branch?

You should be able to click on the macro repeatedly to produce the same result, so the pasted branches and topics are siblings.

---