Project ID as Topic Prefix

Paul S. shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Hi All,

I'm relatively new in MindManager so I hope you can help me here:

I am using an Overview Map in which I link about 20 different Projects via Map Roll up. To get an Overview about the Time Planning I have in every map a Section where i roughly schedule the different projects Phases. As these Phases are named the same (eg. "Specification" or "Implementation") I would like to add a Prefix to the topic names of these Phased to be able to distinguish what Phase belong to which Project)

e.g. "[P21-09] Implementation" should be the "Implementation" -Topic of Project "P21-09".

Any Ideas how i could accomplish that?

Replies (5)

photo

I'm not aware of a MindManager feature that can insert a prefix in the topic text, but you could get something similar by using Topic Tags. If each target map for the Map Rollup function has a tag on the linked topic which identifies the project name, then these tags will be rolled up to the overview map and you will be able to see the project name in the topics in the overview map.

photo

Hey Nick,

thanks for your comment. I directly tried it out indeed this is a good option. Unfortunately the tag is not shown in the Gantt Pro View. Here, especially when using the Ressource Chart, i can not distinguish between the Phases of different Projects. So i would need something that I can see in the Gantt Pro Ressource Chart view...

photo

Ah, you are right - the tags are not exported to the Gantt chart.

However, if you also type the project name in the Topic Notes of the source topic in the project map, then this text will be rolled up to the overview map. When you hover over a bar in the Gantt chart it will show you a preview of the topic notes in the tooltip. Unfortunately I can't find a way to render this in the text next to the bar. It is not included in the text adjacent to the bar because the notes may be extensive and may be multi-line.

A more cryptic way to do it would be to use different fill colours for different projects. These will be rolled up with Map Rollup and will also be applied to the bars in the Gantt chart. However this would displace the automatic fill colours for overdue and at-risk tasks, which come from SmartRules that are switched on by default in new maps but can be turned off again.

photo

Hi Paul,

The simplest solution would be to use the Project ID as the topic text in the source maps (the individual project maps).

Another option is to use numbering for the rolled up topics in the dashboard. With Numbering a prefix can be added.

To do this, the individual phases of each project must be rolled up as subtopics of a unique project branch.

d3e1ea559a9c9fd9d69266dcaa42e081

To insert a numbering with prefix, select the project branch in the dashboard map and choose Numbering in the Insert menu and in the dropdown menu Numbering Options.

31ae7a450d8f0850bc99ef55984fc259

In Gantt Pro, the numbering with prefix is displayed and the numbering is also retained when a map roll-up is refreshed.

7003953e8a873097a6a63b596ca59252

I hope this information is useful.

Jan

photo

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your support. It really helps me to get a good understanding of MindManager Features and possibilities.

I guess Jan's 2. Option is exactly what I was looking for. With this I can precicely Identify which Topic belongs to which project. One last point i have though @Jan H.: Is there any chance to get a dynamic Prefix in your option. I created a Template so for each project i have already all topics i need for the differen Phases. With your decribed solution I would now for each new Project manually mark the relevant Topics and insert the Prefix into the numbering Manually. (for sure not the biggest effort so i could live already with that solution!!) But could i somehow set a Link instead of a hard Prefix and link this to e.g. a floating topic?

Then i would be able to define the Prefix directly in the map and it would be filled out automaticly in the previously marked Topics.

(I hope you can understand my description:))

Anyway once again thanks for your support!

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

I am glad that I could help you. Unfortunately there is no possibility to insert dynamic prefixes yet. This might be an improvement for Smart Rules and/or Numbering.

Jan

---