Very Slow performance on large maps

mohamed e. shared this question 2 years ago
Discussion Open

hello there

is there a limitation on the map size we have to consider ?

I used to use freemind and i had no limitation i used to create very large maps and the software was working very smooth

i am now testing mindmamager and found that after importing my freemind maps that mindmanager is struggling dealing with them

the drag and drop is very slow and even crashes sometimes

is there a limitation ? and how to optimize mindmanager performance to reach it's best performance dealing with large maps ?

Thanks

Replies (5)

photo

Hello Mohamed

How many topics is a "very large" map?

It is probably best to send an example map to support, to see if they can diagnose a problem.

photo

I am talking about 5500 Topics Map

743918ccc61a408fa48d0016e5bcccc4

I use mind maps as knowledge management system so i put every thing in them

Can this be achieved in mindmanager ?

photo

Yes, it is easy to work with knowledge content in thousands of topics. But bear in mind that MindManager has a lot more functionality to work with.

One of them is to create dashboard knowledge maps. They will give you more options and speed to work with than you have ever been able to do with Freemind.

There is a reason why you switched to MindManager.

You only have to rethink a bit how to arrange and use all your knowledge in the best possible way

photo

that's great, thank you for your reply

do you have any advice on how to better arrange the maps for maximum performance?

regards

photo

I have not personally used as many topics as that in a single map. Things that will slow down MindManager at high topic counts are custom icons, images and Topic Notes. Also make sure you turn off the default SmartRules that highlight task topics, as these could add to the processing time. You could try exporting your map to OPML and back again to ensure that it is clean text and does not carry any extra data from the Freemind import.

photo

I can tell you how I manage my over 12000 knowledge topics. Ofcourse there are many other excellent ways to do it.

If I were you, it is a good practice to create knowledge subject specific maps.

Rightclick on a knowledge subject area in your current -imported from freemind- map.

Select Send to new map.

Allow for deleting the content from the original map. You now have two connected maps. Repeat for each knowledge area in you map.

You will now have created a knowledge ecosystem accessable from your knowledge dashboard map.

And the good thing is, you can search on knowledge subjects from your central knowledge dashboard map and it can search all connected maps in one go.

Try if this works for you just as it does for me.

Success

photo

Thank you all for your advices, I will try them all

mindmanager is a great tool, i think I am going to migrate entirely to it

if you could just notify the developers to try to enhance the performance little bit more in the next updates that will be great

thank you very much, have a great day

photo

As Ary says, MindManager has a lot more capability than Freemind, and it is the use of these features which can slow things down. To add to Nick’s advice, I would use SmartRules, formulas, icons, tags, images and complex filters sparingly in very large maps.

Having said that, I think there are risks with storing that number of topics in any single file format like a mind map or spreadsheet. Certainly you should back things up regularly because if the file becomes corrupted you could lose everything.

Ary’s suggestion of using distributed maps linked by a dashboard map is a great way to go if you can structure your information that way. Ultimately the most secure way to store large amounts of data is probably across multiple tables in a relational database, but these are time-consuming to set up and not nearly as user-friendly or accessible as a mind map.

---