Powerfilter - improvements

Alexander W. shared this idea 2 years ago
Voting Open

I have been using MLO for a while for general life-planning and task-management.

The filter in MLO is the best i have ever seen. The possibilities to configure really useful filters on the tasks was unbeatable.

Other feature were not fitting my needs thats why i switched back to MM. But i am missing the sophisticated filter options a lot. My suggestion is to improve the powerfilter up to that level of usability.

the idea in MLO is powerfull and simple.

it offers to combine all possible filter options in logical "clauses". Especially the NOT a tag is a powerfull filter sometimes. In powerfilter it is not really clear what the conditions within a filter group and between filter groups are.

in summary it offers kind of the same filter power as the SQL language for data base filtering. Basically it allows to select from the set of all nodes in the mindmap based on general filter conditions which can access all attributes of the nodes.

One very useful thing is for example to use date ranges which can be defined by offsets - like TODAY+7days.

thx-Alexander

Replies (4)

photo

So you like the filter in MLO.

Exactly what MLO filter settings are you missing in MindManager vs21 for Windows?

Are there MLO filter settings that you never use or don't like?

IF all that is known and specified in detail, it helps to decide how to vote.

Suggestion: Include images in the post. NOT attachments

photo

done ;)

photo

the idea in MLO is powerfull and simple.

it offers to combine all possible filter options in logical "clauses".

Especially the NOT a tag is a powerfull filter sometimes.

In powerfilter it is not really clear what the conditions within a filter group and between filter groups are.

in summary it offers kind of the same filter power as the SQL language for data base filtering. Basically it allows to select from the set of all nodes in the mindmap based on general filter conditions which can access all attributes of the nodes.

-alex

photo

While I agree that the filter facility in MindManager needs more development, you can achieve a lot with SmartRules and formulas, which each provide options - in different ways and to varying degrees - to construct logical arguments. SmartRules and formulas can also be combined with each other, and with filters. I would however like to see more consistency and integration between the three of them.

photo

there are always work-arounds around perfection ;).

However sometimes it helps to spell out the perfection....

In total MM is a very useful thinking tool already with all the filtering options available, but there is a lot room for improvement too, if you want to follow a simple, yet complete and fully tool-based "procedure".

photo

As I indicated in my comment, I agree that the Filter facility should be improved and this involves - among other things - the ability to construct and store logical arguments, especially IF THEN, NOT and other statements.

However, I think that it's equally important that where possible Filters, Formulas and SmartRules should be made more consistent in this regard, and also be better integrated with each other.

photo

nothing to add here :)

photo

btw - is there the option available to help here too as a user.

as i have developer-background this could perhaps be helpful or even appreciated by MM?

photo

I'm not an employee of MindManager so I'll leave them to answer that.

One thing you could think about is developing and selling add-ins for MindManager. There are some great ones out there like MAP, but as this forum demonstrates there's plenty of other ideas for improvements.

photo

very true.. i used to program in MM with makros before for my own usage - which worked quite well.

But MM has for what ever reason abandoned a good support for developers starting with a good documentation.

And now it is really hard to achieve even minor things because you are mostly stuck with searching and testing - which takes way too long.

But perhaps the support for devs will get better in some distant future.

---