Replacing published map with a new one

Andrey K. shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Greetings!

How do we replace a published map with a new one and preserve an original URL?

Thank you.

Best Answer
photo

There are some usability issue being overlooked here. We know that Publish Update is necessary to publish changes to an already published map. This does not answer Andrey's question.

Andrey, as far as I know, the answer to your question is that you cannot publish another map to an existing ID and address, There is no control over the publishing ID from within MindManager.

Also:

1. If you use File > Save As to save a published map with a different name, the publishing status gets reset and you cannot update it. However, its published version remains on the server, but is orphaned and can never be updated. If you try to republish the map, it gets a new ID and address.
  2. If you unpublish a map, you cannot later republish it at the same address. It gets a new ID and address from the server. You get one opportunity to undo the unpublish immediately after unpublishing, then its original published address is lost forever.
  3. If you rename a published map in File Explorer, it is still published and you can still update it.
  4. If you make a copy of a published map in File Explorer, it is still published and you can still update it.

Points 1 and 2 can cause issues in real-world use.

Replies (6)

photo

Following. I have accidentally unpublished maps in the past and not been able to recreate them at the same link :-)

A workaround would be to use a link shortening service like bit.ly, and share that link rather than the raw link on the MindManager publishing server. Then you can replace it with a new published map if necessary.

photo

As long as the original map is the same, you can change about everything even with copy/ paste and simply update your publish.

If you have created a new map it is obvious to all that this will give a new publish with a new URL.

photo

Hello All,

To preserve the URL for a Published map, you must use the Publish Update function.

Best regards,

-Marian

photo

What can I do if I published a map, then saved its mmap file with a different name, and want to Publish Update?

In this case, Publish Update is no longer available...

photo

That is the way I would expect it.

photo

There are some usability issue being overlooked here. We know that Publish Update is necessary to publish changes to an already published map. This does not answer Andrey's question.

Andrey, as far as I know, the answer to your question is that you cannot publish another map to an existing ID and address, There is no control over the publishing ID from within MindManager.

Also:

1. If you use File > Save As to save a published map with a different name, the publishing status gets reset and you cannot update it. However, its published version remains on the server, but is orphaned and can never be updated. If you try to republish the map, it gets a new ID and address.
  2. If you unpublish a map, you cannot later republish it at the same address. It gets a new ID and address from the server. You get one opportunity to undo the unpublish immediately after unpublishing, then its original published address is lost forever.
  3. If you rename a published map in File Explorer, it is still published and you can still update it.
  4. If you make a copy of a published map in File Explorer, it is still published and you can still update it.

Points 1 and 2 can cause issues in real-world use.

photo

Dear Nick,

Thank you for sharing the behaviour description.

I hope that Points 3 and 4 will do the job for me.

---